Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

I've just opened the iPlayer app on my Sony Bravia KDL-40CX523 TV and am faced with a message stating this version of iPlayer is being discontinued in September.

Is there going to be a new version I can use or does this mean iPlayer won't work at all on my TV after September?

105 REPLIES 105
QuiteCross
Explorer

Ok so I have a 2009 Bravia and an SMP N100 media player.  Will the media player still work or has the Beeb decreed me obsolete? 

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

There's a new list od devices on the iPlayer website.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/information/Sony

QuiteCross
Explorer

The thing is, that list does include the player but I'm still getting the End Of Days message - so either the message is wrong or the list is wrong, and there is no clue as to which . 

Grimgreybeard

My BDP-S185 blu-ray isn't on that list. Definitely peeved with both the Beeb and Sony now. And peeved is putting it mildly.

profile.country.en_GB.title
sony-cat

Does it actually say anywhere, if a device is iplayer certified and on that list that it will continue to get iplayer?

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

I logged a support case wih the BBC and they replied to say that Sony list detailed int he last post is up to date and if a device is listed on there then it will continue to receive iPlayer.  They have removed all of those devices that will stop receiving iPlayer in September.

Sony seem suspiciously quiet as usual.    

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ccarmock wrote:

Sony seem suspiciously quiet as usual.    

Sony probably work on the principal of "If I have nothing nice to say - don't say it at all".  :grin:

Naa seriously - Even though Sony is not the best at communicating, they do communicate with the experts on this forum.   Sony is well aware of everyones concerns and they are working with the BBC on the issues at hand.

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Well I have 3 x 2010 & 2011 devices on the BBC 'updated' list.... and all three of them go to the 'to be discontinued' Big Screen iPlayer version still.

This despite a software update to my KDL46EX723.

Surely the BBC should be directing all compatible models to the new iPlayer version already?

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Yes you woudl think they'd be directing them at the non Big Screen version by now.  It's misleading to display a message that it will be discontinued when we are told on these models it will continue.

So far the KDL-32EX713 I have (on PKG4.118 firmware is not displaying the closure message, but my BDP-S370 is.

Regarding Sony not saying n much unless they have something to say - well on this subject they SHOULD have plenty to say!

I logged a support case about the Blu Ray player with oOny who reponded to say they are investigating the 'problem'

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Well, some hope at least:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/connected/other/sony_TVs_2011

Sony 2011 TV users

We are working closely with Sony and will be migrating Sony 2011 TV devices to a new version of BBC iPlayer in September - these devices will not be closed as part of the 'Bigscreen' closure. We apologise for any distress caused due to seeing the closure message.

This only mentions 2011 'TV Devices' though. So it looks like the list of compatible Sony devices (inc. Blu-Rays and 2010 TVs) is not correct.