Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

I've just opened the iPlayer app on my Sony Bravia KDL-40CX523 TV and am faced with a message stating this version of iPlayer is being discontinued in September.

Is there going to be a new version I can use or does this mean iPlayer won't work at all on my TV after September?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have just spotted Sony's statement on the iPlayer as well as models effected.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/bbc-iplayer-announcement

Cheers

View solution in original post

105 REPLIES 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Waiting for confirmation - from my mum - who also has a 2011 TV :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

My mum has confirmed that she does NOT get this message.  She has a 2011 TV and has the latest firmware installed. 

I understand you also have the latest FW installed (acording to another forum), therefore I think it might be a good idea if you could take a photo of that message and post back the results - just incase its not related.  Also more information on exactly what you are pressing to get that message.

Cheers

NettyLouise
Explorer

I've just noticed this message on my KDL-24EX320. I will be very miffed if Sony don't provide an update for this. It's bad enough that I can no longer access radio via iplayer on my TV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

The BBC in its infinate wisdom has decided to throw a nice curve-ball.  (Kudos to Huxley for the information)

This is from the BBC Website:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/connected/closing_version2_iPlayer

BBC iPlayer Discontinued.jpg

I will endevour to find as much information as possible and pass it on to you all.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
Tommmo
Explorer

I already posted in another thread so won't go over that again .http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kdl-40cx523-amp-long-programmes-on-iplayer/m-p/1724479#M2...

I have 2 televisions and one Bluray player all of which will go silent in September. Am I angry? Not half. Can't the BBC just freeze a basic version and keep server support running longer? We don't need all the bells and whistles just simple catch up.

Ian.
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

ROFL at the BBC stating "this wouldnt be an efficient use of the license fee."

Paying £25m to outgoing executives between 2009 - 2012 was?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Fully agree jumpsuit.  I have some very strong opinons on this and the BBC - and have to constrain myself at this moment - awaiting confirmation though - just in-case its in error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

More information has been posted by the BBC on their blog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/New-BBC-iPlayer-for-Connected-TVs-update

"

Back in March, we started rolling out a new version of BBC iPlayer: designed for a multiscreen world, so the experience is consistent, but optimised across PC, tablet, mobile and TV devices. We’ve had some great feedback so far, but lots of you have been asking when new BBC iPlayer will be coming to the devices you have. So today, I can update you on the roll-out on Connected TVs.

As I outlined in my previous post, over time, we are looking to migrate the majority of all existing devices to the new version. However, with BBC iPlayer now available on over 1,200 devices, this is a major task and will take a bit of time. Today, I am happy to announce the next wave of devices is ready to go.

These include (by device):

TVs:

Bush (2014), Celcus (2014), Cello (2012), Digihome (2014), Finlux (2014), Hitachi (2014), JVC (2014), LG (2014),Linstar (2014), Luxor (2014), Panasonic (2014) Philips (2014), Polariod (2014), Samsung (2010, 2011, 2014), Sharp (2014), Sony (2011, 2014), Toshiba (2012, 2013, 2014), Vestel (2012)

Blu-Ray:

LG (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014), Panasonic (2013, 2014), Samsung (2011, 2012, 2014), Sony (2012, 2013, 2014), Toshiba (2014)

Set-top boxes:

Bush (2014), Hitachi (2014), LG (2012), Tesco-Technika (2012), Western Digital (2010, 2011, 2012)

These will be rolled out over the coming week.

The eagle-eyed amongst you will see the list above includes a number of devices that are currently using our ‘Bigscreen’ version of BBC iPlayer - which launched over five years ago and is currently only being used by 0.1% of BBC iPlayer users.

With this in mind, limited resources, and new BBC iPlayer rolled out to over 85% users, we’ve had to make the tough call to retire the ‘Bigscreen’ version. This means that from next month (September 2014) some devices that are using this ‘Bigscreen’ version on some TVs, Blu-Ray devices and PCs connected to TVs will no longer have access to BBC iPlayer. There are lots of other devices that can access BBC iPlayer and for the full list please refer to the BBC iPlayer help pages.  

Please note that we have a similar looking service based on MHEG technology for Freesat compatible devices. This is not closing in September.

Q. What about the versions of BBC iPlayer on Virgin Media Tivo, YouView, BT Vision and other devices?

A. We are working with YouView, Virgin Media and BT to bring new BBC iPlayer to these platforms. Whilst I cannot announce dates, we are targeting this year for these platforms. Similarly, other devices on our legacy version of BBC iPlayer will be migrated to the new version this year as well.

Q. You said Xbox One was coming soon – any update there?

A. Yes. I am happy to announce that we’re aiming to launch new BBC iPlayer on Xbox One by the end of this year.

We have completed four releases to this product since we launched out of preview in May – this has included a number of fixes and improvements to performance of the product on all devices. Some of you will have noticed better video playback performance, clearer labeling and a number of other minor improvements that we have made in response to both audience feedback and usage data.

As always, I love hearing your feedback, so please drop me a note below with suggestions for how we can make BBC iPlayer even better on Connected TVs.

"

So from what I gather, the BBC is discontinuing one version "Big Screen" and rollingout a new version.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

"this wouldn't be an efficient use of the license fee."

They'll have a lot less license fee revenue to work with if they carry on like this.

Surely ensuring it plays on TVs, most of which will be used in homes with a licence, should be more important than making it work on devices which don't need a licence to use it on?