Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

I've just opened the iPlayer app on my Sony Bravia KDL-40CX523 TV and am faced with a message stating this version of iPlayer is being discontinued in September.

Is there going to be a new version I can use or does this mean iPlayer won't work at all on my TV after September?

105 REPLIES 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@huxley123 wrote:

"this wouldn't be an efficient use of the license fee."

They'll have a lot less license fee revenue to work with if they carry on like this.

Im not a fan of the BBC Tax - but they do have an uncanny knack of misappropriation of our money.  Wasting a vast fortune on salaries and goldern handshakes, and various other wasteful things.  The iPlayer is one of their most successful technologies, yet they do this. 

As I said in another thread, there is a lot of confusion at the moment.  Sit thight for a week or so and we;ll see how it all plays out.  It might be all good in the end - its just they havnet communicated this effectively at all.  If not, I am sure they will be in-undated with complaints.

Simon.Feather
Explorer

I have a BDP-S185 Blu-ray player which we bought in May 2012 - this too has started displaying the "iPlayer will stop working in September" message.  This is really bad news for us, as this is the only way we watch, using the Blu-ray player hooked up to a projector - we don't have a TV at all.  This doesn't feel like "an older device" to me!  The latest available firmware update has been applied (I check regularly).  My children will be very disappointed if they can't watch their favourite CBeebies programmes!  Please let us know what is happening - will Sony issue a firmware update to point this device at the new iPlayer service?  If so, when?  Or have I got to go out and and buy another device?

Thanks

Simon Feather

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am waiiting for an Sony's official answer on thier position on this BBC annoucement and what devices it affects.  However I have been told that "this is way more complex than just a decision to stop a certain service."

i think there are a few things at play here, such as technical aspects on what the BBC wish to achieve.  As well as internal politics between manufactureres and the BBC. 

In my opinion 2011/2012 devices are not "old" so this is why I am flabbergasted at the way the BBC has gone about this.

As soon as I receive any information - I will update this thread.

Cheers

Simon.Feather
Explorer

Thanks, Quinnicus

I've just seen the following comment in a reply posted in the BBC Blog you referenced:

"With regard to the Sony 2011 TVs, these are included in this migration but I believe there are other device identifiers that we needed to include in this release. We will resolve this soon."

... So maybe, if someone can simply provide a list of relevant device identifiers (such as my Blu-ray player) to Auntie, all may not be lost?

... or are we still likely to need a firmware update from Sony (or a new device.... )?

Looking forward to the results of your digging!

best regards

Simon Feather

Grimgreybeard

I have the same Blu-ray player and also use it mainly to watch BBC i-player - I bought the model specifically for this function. Most unhappy with this situation. Surely Sony have enough clout with the Beeb to rectify this?

Danielcoz
Explorer

Hi - thanks for looking into this.

There's new message on the BBC site saying Sony is working to migrate 2011 TVs.

Can you confirm my TV KDL-40EX723 is  a 2011 TV. the printed manual is dated 2011 so I hope so

thanks

d

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi There

I can confim that the EX723 TV is a 2011 model.

Cheers

Simon.Feather
Explorer

Has anyone else noticed that the BBC's blog entry for this (as identified above by Quinnicus) is now showing "this entry is closed for comments"?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats normal.  The BBC dont normally keep comments open "for ever", especially on weekends due to lack of moderation etc.

Grimgreybeard

Tch! So they are updating 2011 TVs but not my 2012 Bluray player. Typical.