Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

I've just opened the iPlayer app on my Sony Bravia KDL-40CX523 TV and am faced with a message stating this version of iPlayer is being discontinued in September.

Is there going to be a new version I can use or does this mean iPlayer won't work at all on my TV after September?

105 REPLIES 105
Danielcoz
Explorer

thanks d

profile.country.en_GB.title
Geeezeee
Explorer

I get the iPlayer warning message on my KDL-32cx523 too.

My question to Sony is does this mean the end of receiving the iPlayer service on my TV or can the application by updated in a firmware update so it works with the new version?

profile.country.GB.title
tim.campbell
Explorer

Looks to all be in hand.  Latest details from the BBC:

Sony 2011 TV users

We are working closely with Sony and will be migrating Sony 2011 TV devices to a new version of BBC iPlayer in September - these devices will not be closed as part of the 'Bigscreen' closure. We apologise for any distress caused due to seeing the closure message.

from this link:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/connected/closing_version2_iPlayer

profile.country.en_GB.title
Geeezeee
Explorer

That's really positive news Tim.  Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kudos Tim

Looks like Sony might be flexing its muscles with the BBC - thats my take on it anyhow :slight_smile:

Grimgreybeard

Still confused, does this mean my 2012 blu-ray will also be migrated to the new BBC i-player?

Anonymous
Not applicable

What model bluray do you have?

Grimgreybeard

I have a BDP-S185 Blu-ray player.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The BDP-S185 is the exception to the rule.  Even though it was sold in 2012(and 2011) its based on the 2011 platform (its the only dual 2011/2012 player).  So according ot the BBC, I guess you should be fine.

Grimgreybeard

Thanks. Fingers crossed that it does make the transition - I can't afford to replace it if it doesn't.