Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia TV (KDL-26S5500 ) - Fault- Switching itself of and on

nirober40
Explorer

Bravia TV (KDL-26S5500 ) - Fault- Switching itself of and on

My five year old Bravia TV has recently started turning itself off and then on again following a channel change using the remote.

I've tried resetting all soft values in the settings menu using "Reset" and unplugging from the mains, without improvement.

Does anybody know what the problem is ?

Cheers

Nick

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Carefully check your remote control to see if there are any 'stuck' buttons as this could be the fault.  If so, clean the remote control.

cheers

marina43
Explorer

I too have the same issue, again with a 5 year old model.

I have contacted Sony direct and they cannot offer a solution but do indicate the issue is under investigation.

I await the outcome with interest.

Braviaman69
Explorer

I have had this same problem for over a year now but recently it has got more frequent switching itself off and on again several times in a viewing period of about an hour.  I took it to our local Sony centre who (eventually) sent it to the Sony repair centre using the £25 up front for a quote on a repair "deal".  Nearly a fortnight later I have just got a call to tell me that it is a known fault with this 26-inch model and the 32-inch too.  It is a "fault in the Freeview system" they say.  That sounds like nonsense to me but the kids in the shop don't know anything.  The built-in Freeview was working fine even with the off/on fault. So it's cost me £25 to tell me they know all about this fault and I can only use it as a monitor with a Freeview box or buy another TV from them.  And Sony no longer do a 26-inch model!!  Why could they not have just called the repair centre and explained the problem and give me the bad news without the £25 charge plus 2 weeks with no TV??  After all this problem is well known and all over the internet on various forums including this one.  Very disappointed with Sony whose products we have used for years.  But before I give up on this one I am going to take the TV to a local repair shop for a second opinion and see if they can do anything with it.  Look out Sony if they fix it!!

I am still looking for a solution, but in the UK the problem is the TV switches off when on BBC channels.

My TV man says get the firmware upgrade, but where to download this??

As a half solution, when you go to turn your TV on, just press say '3' (ITV) on your remote control, rather than the 'on button' and a BBC channel. Once the tv is 'warmed up' it seems less inclined to switch off.

Mee too

marina43
Explorer

Take my advice and give in.

It will never be resolved as it has been ongoing for more than 3 years.

I reluctantly gave up on it and bought a Samsung.  Never again will I buy Sony

Problem with BBC channels

I forgot to mention I got this email from Sony a few months ago:

"Thank you for your recent e-mail.

In regards to your enquiry, please note that this case is already under investigation with BBC and Sony in order to find out why the TV turns off on BBC channels.

Meanwhile, you may follow the steps below and reset the TV to defaults:

• Press “Menu” button.
  • Go to “Settings”.
  • Go to “start-up”.
  • Select “Auto Start-up”.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,"

Braviaman69
Explorer

Thanks for recent comments and glad to see this thread is not dead yet!

My set has been with our local repair shop (Sony approved repairer) for two and a half weeks now.  I checked with him last week and he said he had had the set switched on on his bench and had only had the fault occur once.  I am going to see him again this afternoon and will show him your comments and suggestions about firmware, BBC problems and resetting defaults.  I will let you know the results but I am tempted to just get the set back and live with the problem as we only use this set for an hour or so every day.

Braviaman69
Explorer

I think I now have the definitive answer and a solution (at a cost).  I went back to my local repair man a couple of weeks ago and he said that it was the "backlighter".  I did not understand this term so he explained that it was the screen that was faulty and it would be uneconomical to repair even if he could get a replacement (which he doubted due to its age).  So I took the set back and his expertise only cost me another £15.

However I am inclined not to believe him totally.  I think PMEdinburgh's comment about the fault only occurring on BBC channels is the real problem here.  When I got it home I switched it on and it went straight to BBC1 which was the last channel used in the shop I presume.  Within 15 seconds it clicked off and rebooted.  So I switched it onto Channel 4 and left it on for the rest of the night -- no problem.  Over the next few days I monitored which channels I was using and sure enough it only clicked off when it was on a BBC channel.  All the others were fine.  So when the Sony Centre repair people said that the problem was known by Sony and it was caused by the Freeview built into the set, I am now presuming that they meant the "BBC problem" though they did not specify that.

Anyway today I bought a Humax DTR-T2000 500GB YouView HD receiver (£175) and will now use the TV a just an HD monitor.  This gives me HD, pause/rewind live TV, recording facility and scroll back to watch missed programmes and on-demand services via internet connection so I guess I can justify the cost on the basis of an upgrade which also fixes the original problem.

Fingers crossed that this is the end of it!!