Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia TV (KDL-26S5500 ) - Fault- Switching itself of and on

nirober40
Explorer

Bravia TV (KDL-26S5500 ) - Fault- Switching itself of and on

My five year old Bravia TV has recently started turning itself off and then on again following a channel change using the remote.

I've tried resetting all soft values in the settings menu using "Reset" and unplugging from the mains, without improvement.

Does anybody know what the problem is ?

Cheers

Nick

17 REPLIES 17
nirober40
Explorer

I now think the problem is with the one of the HD signals interfering with the SD transmissions on Freeview.

Like you I'd attempted various solutions over a six month period to fix the problem without success and, again, like you decided to purchase a separate Freeview set-top tuner and feed the output to the Bravia TV using it purely as a monitor.

I purchased a Manhattan unit @ £44, the terresterial TV tuner (They also do a Freesat version) has Freeview HD and SD receiving capability, supposedly a record capability to USB (But I haven't attempted to use this facility yet) and it has a limited smart TV internet capability (The internet locations you can visit are pre-programmed into the tuner and are not capable of change by the user - there's no URL bar). 

Personally, I didn't want to spend out too much, as I suspected, that Sony, like the other white goods manufacturers, are probably producing the current generation of TVs with sub-five year design lives (Fully expecting the power supply or screen to go)o
- something about price point sales maximisation in the new global economy with the object of maximising the owners of capital returns ?

Anyway, to get back on topic, I set-up the Manhattan unit to feed its output to the HDMI 2 port on the Bravia TV and had no problems getting a signal. However, at first, whilst the Manhattan tuner automatically scanned for HD and SD channels and found all available (Although not as many channels as the Bravia's internal tuner ! Not as sensitive ?) it would not display any of the HD channels. 

Now, according to the Freeview web site, I was able to determine from the postcode database and the signal coverage map that I should be able to receive  BBC 1 & 2, ITV 1, Channel 4 and Ceebees in HD.

The Manhattan Tuner detected all the HD channels which the Freeview website predicted, but it would not display a picture for any of them on the Bravia TV.

After a bit if research on the web, I learned that the HD channels received from my local transmitter, Crystal Palace,  could be made to display a picture if each HD channel entry was manually deleted from the channel database built during its own previous automatic scan  ! - the Manhattan unit has a facility for manually deleting channels. All the HD channels to be deleted were in the range channel 100-110.

Outcome: When I deleted these channels manually and restarted the Manhattan tuner, BBC 1 & 2 (On channels 1 & 2, which previously showed only an SD picture and symbol) now showed an HD picture and symbol. Same with Ceebees. However, ITV and Channel 4 still displayed an SD picture and the 100+ HD channel entries for these were lost.

The HD signal seems to display best in 720p, although my Sony TV will do 1080i.

Subsequently, I've tried multiple times re-booting the unit and going through the auto-channel scan and manual deletion process but the tuner/TV combination will not display the commercial TV channels in HD.

So either the advice on the Freeview website is wrong and ITV and Channel 4 are not being transmitted from Crystal Palace (Doubtful) or there's a signal transmission conflict which manifests itself on SD only capable Sony's TVs with this re-booting rubbish. The fact that the Manhattan tuner is unable to display ITV HD and Channel 4 suggests to me that the fault is with the TV signal transmission rather either the Sony TV or the Manhattan unit.

I wonder whether this is a consequence of the BBCs recent ponderings what to do with BBC 3 & 4. Now that's been decided, and BBC 3 is moving to the web, there's bound to be in due course another re-shuffling of channels across the multiplexes and perhaps the  interference on Sony's  SD capable TV tuners (Which appear to be very sensitive) will disappear and other HD channels will have space to pop-up.

Nick

Sent from my BlackBerry® PlayBook™
www.blackberry.com

Braviaman69
Explorer

Glad to report that my Humax PVR is working fine straight out of the box and the HD picture quality is superb - and no switching off and rebooting so problem solved if at some cost.  I do like pause and rewind live TV though!

@nirober40I guesss you may have tried this already but connect your new Freeview box to another non-Sony TV and see what happens.  That should tell you which device is causing the problem?

Good luck and let us know.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

Have you tried this suggestion in the following thread?  Im curious to know if it works.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/bbc-channels-causing-restart-on-kdl-32s5500-tv/td-p/2002.../

Just ensure 'System Update' is set to ON in the settings.

Cheers

Braviaman69
Explorer

Your link doesn't work (for me).  Looks like it's too long to fit on one line.  Could you split it over two lines and we will just have to copy and paste it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try the link again, i missed a backslash at the end.  Its now working for me.

when using the remote my sony bravia turns off then on.?

marina43
Explorer

I would suggest you discard the Soy TV. I have give up and placed it in the nearest dump site. It is a total waste of time seeking resolution from Sony. they show no interest. A hard lesson learnt but never gain will I purchase a Sony product.

Ian Winter
nirober40
Explorer

This was a problem I experienced.

It only seemed to occur when using the on-board tv tuner. There was problem
when input was taken from other sources e.g. HDMI, SCART, RCA phono.

Various causes have been suggested to me, ranging from the start of
failure of the power supply, through short-circuit in the on-board tuner, to
a change in the transmitted TV signal - I haven't been able to determine
which of these might be the actual cause.

However, I found one work around which has operated faultlessly for the last
year and saves spending out on a new TV. I purchased a separate stand alone
set-top tuner box (Manhattan) for about £40. This has an HDMI output which
can be plugged into one of my Sony TVs HDMI sockets. There's no need to
disconnect or disable the TV's on-board tuner. Simply plug your existing
coaxial aerial lead into the set-top tuner, connect the HDMI cable between
the set-top boxes HDMI output to your TVs HDMI socket, plug-in the set-top
box into power supply, switch on the TV and select the appropriate HDMI
input by calling-up the TV's input selection screen (Using the TV remote
control - blue menu button on my TV). Once the correct input selection is
made, the initial screen from the set-top box tuner pops up on your TV and
then use the set-top tuner's remote control to seek and tune the local TV
transmission sources. Job done.

In use, the only extra operational step needed to view TV programmes after
switching-on the Sony TV set is to select the HDMI input coming from the
set-top box.

This workaround has the added advantage in that the set-top box has an HD
tuner, whereas the tuner on the Sony TV was SD only, but because the Sony
was designed and built to display signals from HDMI sources ("HD Ready") it
can display an HD signal from an HDMI source.

N.