Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Tablet Z2 does not turn on, batery dead, no charging

TomBuTom
Visitor

Xperia Tablet Z2 does not turn on, batery dead, no charging

Hi Forum,

my Tablet's battery got dead. When home tried to charge but nothing happend - especially NOTHING on the magnetic charger, while on USB-Conector i had a red LED-Light on.

After chargin for 4 hours, it did not switch on. Whet ever i did: holding down the button for 10 sek, pressing vol-up and switch on (tried even the vol-down!), or pressing the the red-reset-button in the SD-Card-bay.

Any Ideas? Or is the a warranty-case?

Thanks

42 REPLIES 42
Z2Tablet_Utilis
Visitor

Right,

Been in several major retailers in my country and in none of them were Sony tablets on sale.  My guess is that they're pulling out of this market altogether: it's very unpleasant that we ended up treated as Guinea pigs on a failed product line... 

linuscat
Visitor

alright, i needed to write this as a future reminder to myself...

my tablet z2 also had the same issue.  will not charge or turn-on.  press the little red button besides the sd-card slot.  tried the soft reset. nothing worked.  the only hint i got was one time, the red charging led indicator was blinking red.  this was a huge clue on what was going on with the tablet.  

from what i gathered online the red blinking light means that the tablet is in the process of a complete battery discharge.  why this is happening.  i don't know.  i do know that once the process is finished (a few days, in my case, i think a week and half) you can charge the tablet normally.  

i waited, i plugged, ten minutes later, i return press the power button and see the battery visual showing 12% charging.  powered it on and it worked fine.  now browsing and playing games on it as if nothing has happened.

MartinM84
Visitor

Hi, 

my Z2 Tablet seems to be not working anymore at all. In the support menu within Android I wad asked to restart the Tablet, as it was not restarted for a while. After the shutdown it didn't work anymore. I tried a cold start, but also this does not work. Further it is not even indicating to be charged when plugged on. 

Does anyone have an idea what could have happened and how to solve the issue?

Thanks! 

Axma
Visitor

Hi
Interesting, this happened to me too this weekend. The Z2 suddenly didn't take the charging, it's totaly dead. Just when you connect tha charging cable the charging lamp gives a short second of hope, but when pushing the contact in, the light is goen again and there is no sign of charging at all.

sgizmo
Visitor

Very similar problem I had 2 weeks ago. I open back cover by my self, reconnect all visible cables and it's start working again.. 

thecyclingmadve
Visitor

Tried this and it works perfectly. Very cheap to fix. I used my fingernail to pop off the Positive connector. popped it back on and voila.. Slightly_smiling_Face

Dtagos_Adrian
Visitor

Happened to me too. After I shut it down it wouldn't start. I tried all buttons combinations described above. Nothing. I left it for a few months and one day before taking it to the repair shop I said to try once again to charge it. And it worked!!! The battery was empty. So I figured that this is the problem : it won't charge until the battery is depleted. 

After a while I restarted it and it didn't came back on. The battery was around 90%. I had the idea to put it in the freezer but I was afraid. After reading here I said OK let's try, but I left it in the refrigerator, not freezer, for one week. In this way the battery was depleted and when I plugged in it was charging!!! From now on I will keep it always on. 

wallor1
Visitor

Ive read that most people think if you flat battery to 0 voltage in Sony devices that it will trigger charging by some miracle which is very false. You have specification on every battery out there. The first you notice is minimum and maximum voltage of specific battery. The minimum battery voltage is the amount of voltage battery operates as being able to recharge it self in optimized conditions. Once battery is below acceptable voltage its not possible to charge battery by conventional methods via usb or even dc connectors. Flat or 0 voltage battery is a dead battery. It doesnt have any charge what so ever. And its impossible to chargr that battery via usb connector. The only way to charge battery is manually not via any motherboard of that specific device. Its impossible. You need yo charge battery directly. In some cases not even this is possible depenting on battery circuit which have safe features. Motherboard takes it own current so even if you measure it it doesnt actually charge you battery. On the other hand you have ic for charging battery as well. This problem which is common in sony devices is exclusive to sony. You dont need any combination or reseting procedures so you trigger charging again. For other its simple as yaking out battery manually charging and powwring on again. It will power your device every single time without any issues. Now for thr battery part its very easy to see if battery it self is bad. It will lose charge by it self on a shelf in a matter of minutes. That is a bad battery. I have similar problem to to this tablet and im trying to figure out what components are bad. Usually when you power on device you get power surge about up to 1amp. In this case about 200mamp somethig is definitely wrong in component department. I have never seen devices going bad without charge. Usually devices are going bad when you charge them and they brake but never on discharge below battery minimum requirements. This is exclusive sony issue.

wallor1
Visitor

Ima sorry but this just a bizzare and rubbish construction of a motherboard. I opened every thermal shield on motherboard to see what is thr issue and i found a serious flaw. Actually there are 2 flaws still used today in Sony construction of motherboards. First is that you use components only on one side. This is not the first time i seen this type of construction un your devices. My conclusion is following. Its easier its cheaper and engineers dont need to do that hard of a job creating multiple paths etc. But repairing it or should i say constructing a shell or housing around motherboars is a joke just because of one sided components on motherboard. Its not robust construction overall. Second related to this tablet Sony z2 is a joke as well. Under the shields everyrhing seems to be ok except power managment sector. Who is putting thermo paste over components under the shield. First of all if you have such small components which are very small the only thing you put over it is adhesive layer which is solid rock. You dont put any paste which becomes pulver over time. No wonder why tablet wont start. Diods fall by them selfs. Who  constructed this type of motherboard? Samsung and lg are putting adhesive layer and they dont come of at all by them selfs. But their problem is that there are using short time of soldering plus bad tin which is rubbish over time. Is anybody doing check controls at your factories. No wonder why everything brakes. Nobody does controls or improvments. Lg have very bad nand placement procedure. Isnt it obvious. No adhesive. Put adhesive so its fixed. Same goes for you sony. Stop doing one side construction and put adhesive as a fixed layer.

SteinJ
Visitor

YES! Thanks!

Putting it in the freezer worked for me too!

I had written it off, when I found your post.

Thank you!!

@ClemensB wrote:

Hello everybody,

I had the same problem and really tried everything, all the suggestions, all the ideas over and over again!
But like some of you already mentioned, NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!!

Finally I thought: this thing is DONE! And I do one last crazy thing with it; I put it in the freezer.
You won’t believe it, but after 2 days in the freezer I wiped it of and start it up.
I was shocked!
I saw something happening on the screen and It told me that the battery was empty.
So I charged it and it runs like it should!

Hope this will help you out.