Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Tablet Z2 does not turn on, batery dead, no charging

TomBuTom
Visitor

Xperia Tablet Z2 does not turn on, batery dead, no charging

Hi Forum,

my Tablet's battery got dead. When home tried to charge but nothing happend - especially NOTHING on the magnetic charger, while on USB-Conector i had a red LED-Light on.

After chargin for 4 hours, it did not switch on. Whet ever i did: holding down the button for 10 sek, pressing vol-up and switch on (tried even the vol-down!), or pressing the the red-reset-button in the SD-Card-bay.

Any Ideas? Or is the a warranty-case?

Thanks

42 REPLIES 42
Z2Tablet_Utilis
Visitor

Hello,

Same problem here. I restarted my Xperia Z2 tablet at a moment when it was running particularly slow... and that was it.

It would not start again.

When plugging it to recharge, no light would come up on the LED.

Dead end too when it came to Power button / Power & Vol+, or using the PC and the Sony software for a repair.

As the warranty period was getting really close (I purchased this tablet in December 2014), I used the Sony service to send the device over to them.

Their diagnose: some mechanic pieces are defective and need replacement. Also, the motherboard needs to be replaced as well.

And best of all: this is not covered by the warranty!!

Their price tag: almost 300eur to throw onto a device that cost me nearly 400 2 years ago. And the warranty coverage for this repair is only 90 days...

I am awaiting a reply from them to justify this. I can't believe that a high-end device supposed to compete with Apple and the like is behaving like a cheap, copycat brand -both in terms of product durability and of after-sales service.

Forbannet_
Visitor

MY Z2 STOPPED WORKING TODAY TOO!

I had 35% battery left, I was watching a youtube video, everything was OK, I put the tablet aside and took a nap.

Now, I pick up the tablet, completely BLACK, doesn't want to power on, no lights are showing when plugging both USB or the Magnetic Charger... In short, it is absolutely dead, for NO APPARENT REASON!!!!!

I have a Z-Ultra (that has an ugly screen glitch) - A Z2 Phone, Z3 Phone and a Z5... In short, I have a lot of sony products, and ofcoruse I was betrayed by my Z2 Tablet because the warranty is over.

Amazing...

ottimo21
Visitor

Hello I have some answers and perhaps some solution. My tablet has shut down several times by not giving any sign of life, but every time I managed in one way or another to turn it back on. I did several tests including open the tablet and remove the battery. The problem is that if you power off the tablet and the battery level is low, the battery sometimes stops charging coming into conflict with the rest of the tablet, this happens especially when the charge level is low, I noticed that happens from 30% to down. If you want to turn on your tablet you'll have to wait until the battery level drops to zero. If when you connect the charger, the LED does not light and is always off it means that it is still too early let the tablet somewhere, This actually is not totally off but is in a locked state. if when you connect the tablet to the charger, the LED turns red briefly and then off it means that the battery level is low but it is still too early, From this moment usually it needs one or two days. after one or two days you make the device reset using the red button next to the sd card (,Press the red button gently for two minutes exactly) Now connect the tablet to the charger, if everything went well then the LED light will turn off and then turn back on again. When the LED is left turned on it will mean that the tablet is charging And after a couple of minutes it should appear on the screen the battery image. Wait until the charge reaches around 40% then try to turn on the device with the power button 

802sony
Visitor

The freezer trick worked for me too!  Crazy but true.  (I left it in there for an hour.)

Adam73
Visitor

Thank you, the posters before. I don't know which bit did the trick but I put it in the freezer for 2 hours then pushed the red button by the sd card for a full 2 minutes while it was charging. It came back to life. It died within a month of the warranty ending and Sony help was totally useless. This is the last Sony product I'll be buying. 

ARCOM
Visitor

Same for me. 29 months and motherboard crashed. Estimate of costs 230 €. I will buy a Samsung for this amount and buy a Panansonic to replace my Sony TV. 

Z2Tablet_Utilis
Visitor

Hi,

Here's a quick update on my issue:

Following several exchanges with Sony's Customer Care service, they managed to sneak thru the repair of the tablet under the warranty. After 2 months (waiting time for the spare components + assembly + shipment), I got my tablet back by February 2017, factory resetted.

I tested it thoroughly (reinstall all apps, restart, etc) and it worked well.

Now in June 2017, I rebooted it again after several months without doing it, with the battery fully charged... and it blacked out again. No charging red LED light. No vibration with either the Volume+ button or the red button by the memory card. No recognition under Sony Companion. Just a beautiful, useless rectangular piece of electronic components with the Sony logo on them.

I don't know what to say. Every warranty has run out and with the components replaced, I cannot understand how this issue came back. But the product is definitively flawed, and I will publish this situation on every Sony Xperia Tablet review I see in the Internet so that at least it gets some visibility on future versions (and obviously won't spend money on the Xperia Z4 to see if this issue persists).

Car6on
Visitor

freezer also worked for me.. had to do it twice, just updated using manual process to android 6.0.1 from 5.1.1, using techbeasts article. Hoping it was software related not hardware... has only be 2 days so do not know yet... I like this tablet with the exception of the headphone jack being on bottom!, worst location decision... but hardware otherwise is solid, would like to get one 1 yr out of it..

Les1
Visitor

Good luck with the warranty Mine was unrpairabe despite Sony repair centre only having it back for the same fault 6 months ago, this and most Sony IT products are not fit for purpose, 

Les1
Visitor

Your right it's a underlying problem that Sony refuses to accept, my tablet developed the same problem again despite apparently having the the pcb changed 6 months ago, 

Simply don't buy Sony again!!