Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

I've just opened the iPlayer app on my Sony Bravia KDL-40CX523 TV and am faced with a message stating this version of iPlayer is being discontinued in September.

Is there going to be a new version I can use or does this mean iPlayer won't work at all on my TV after September?

105 REPLIES 105
profile.country.en_GB.title
Geeezeee
Explorer

I can also confirm that refreshing video content enables the 'new' iPlayer on my KDL-32cx523 television.  As others have noted it's a little slower to navigate than the previous version which I also assume is to do with the relatively weedy processing power of 2011 equipment.  I'm just happy it works!

My BDP-S185 Blu-Ray appears out of luck though, but as it wasn't on the update list I didn't really expect it to be saved 😞 

profile.country.GB.title
Davidg_Croydon
Explorer

Thanks for the advice. Now got the new all-singing, all-dancing version of iPlayer working. :slight_smile:

Falmericon
Explorer

@copicke45 wrote:

It will be clunky and poorly responsive because it has been designed to work on current models of Smart TV which have more processing power. 

That's true of course, but I don't think it's the only issue. When moving between pages, it mostly seems to insist on finishing the drawing of the current page (complete with images) before it'll let you go to another page. I've no idea why it does this, you'd have thought it would simply abort the current page drawing and move to the next. Either way, it does seem to make navigation very sluggish.

SirCumfy

OK, so further to my post at the top of page 5 I tried to access iPlayer on my 2010 TV. At first it said it temporarily could not access the server but after refreshing internet content iPlayer is back. However, it looks to be like the old version that was always there, with 'higher quality' as a viewing option but not HD. There's no message about it being discontinued - is this in fact a version which will work in the future or have I just got the original one working again?

Trying a network update on my DVD seemed to do naff all.
profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

The new version doesn't need a click to confirm menu buttons like my old version did, I think this is where the clunkiness is coming from.

As I move along a line of buttons, it's trying to load the related menus as I pass each button, whereas before it only loaded the related menu when I confirmed my choice.

I also seem to have a glitch when trying to exit iPlayer using the return button.

The return button pops up a menu asking to confirm I want to exit. Confirming just puts me back to iPlayer.

The home button exits iPlayer as before.

Small glitches I can live with, I'm glad to have a working iPlayer again.

I'll probably end up buying a separate box anyway, as it's unlikely the other catchup services I'd like will be added, and the way the iPlayer debacle has been handled would put me off buying another Sony product.

I like the quality of Sony products, but if I buy a Sony box now, it could well end up unusable in a couple of years time, so I'm just a well buying some cheap box.

Grimgreybeard

I've oredered a Now TV box, I won't be buying Sony again after this, and I will be telling all my contacts not to do so in the future as well. If Sony really valued its customers it would have upgraded all the devices which incorporate BBC i-player, but no, it had decided to shaft all the people who bought Blu-ray and other home video equipment. Bad move.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Grimgreybeard

I understand that you are annoyed and upset over this (and justifiaby too!) - however in this particular case I have to defend Sony, as it is my opinion that this is one of the issues that is not Sony's fault - the blame really is squarely at the BBC.  Many other manufactureers are in the same situation.  I do know that Sony has done its very best to update as many devices/TVs as possible. 

Cheers

Grimgreybeard

Sorry, but it is Sony's decision not to update the HAV devices - if they can upgrade televisions it is entirely within their power to do the same for Blu-ray devices etc, they have just decided not to do so.

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

The thing I was surprised at here is that the version on my TV (KDL-32EX713) continues, but has always looked more basic and never supportedf HD via iPlayer, yet the Blu Ray player I have a BDP-S370 uses a version of iPlayer that supports HD

That made me suspect the Blu Ray player was more advanced and thus could handle more in the way of updates to this technology.   SO yes, this does feel liek Sony have taken a decision to abondon the earlier HAV equipment for iPlayer, but are continuing to support the TVs that first used it.

However the TV continues to be supported, but the Blu Ray player now.

Sony have never said why the TV does not support HD, when it is a full HD TV

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it was a limitation of the BBCs iPlayer software at the time. They have over 1,200 versions of iPlayer itself, and each version has its own limitations. As well as the hardware on the TV/devices.

I have seen from the replies here that the new V4 iPlayer is a little clunky.  It may be that Sony and the BBC have tried to develop it for devices (ie bluray players), but decided that due to the 'clunkyness' it just wasnt worth it for user experience, compared to the fact that a new smart bluray player is less than £60, or the Now TV is a tenner.  However the TV's are different, in which replacement costs and expectations from you guys are probably different.

Im only guessing by the way.  Normally with things its not just a single factor that determines a decision.

PS: I know that I have not even mentions All-In-One systems.