Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

I've just opened the iPlayer app on my Sony Bravia KDL-40CX523 TV and am faced with a message stating this version of iPlayer is being discontinued in September.

Is there going to be a new version I can use or does this mean iPlayer won't work at all on my TV after September?

105 REPLIES 105
Falmericon
Explorer

@Davidg_Croydon wrote:

Was happily watching iPlayer this morning on my KDL-22EX320, but just tried to watch something this evening and I get this device is not supported, and a page with a QR code telling me how to get iPlayer, but this TV is on the BBC's approved list BBC Sony list. So, is anybody else having this issue? The TV is only 2 1/2 years old.

I'm also getting the 'device not supported' message on my 2011 KDL-46EX723, which is also on the list. What a pain.

profile.country.en_GB.title
sony-cat

I am getting the message and QR code as well on my KDL40HX723.  So much for not discontinuing the devices on the list.

So in summary my 'smart tv' is now missing iplayer, 4OD and ITV Player.  All I have left from freeview channels on my TV I bought less than three years ago is 5 on demand.  Oh and that rubbish BBC News app, which isn't really on demand, it's just a loop of the headlines.  That's awesome.

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Try running the refresh Internet content option. Doing that has kept it
working on my KDL-32EX713. Still working ok now

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

I have had success with my TVs today at last.

Did a forced software update on my KDL40EX703 this morning and now get iPlayer V3 which works, albeit with 256 colour bitmaps on the navigation (not that it matters as it is the video stream that counts).

Did a refresh internet content on my 2011 KDL46EX723 this evening and, to my surprise, it now works with the new iPlayer v4 which looks rather marvelous compared with old iPlayer v2 Big Screen, although operationally it is going to take some getting used to.

Unsurprisingly my BDP S370 still has the Big Screen 'to be discontinued' version and, from this thread, looks like this will shortly be discontinued. But as I still have iPlayer access on all my screens (plus additionally on my Youview box & Chromecast) loss of the BD player access isn't going to affect me.

For sony-cat, if my 2010 model can now get a 'to be continued' version of iPlayer I am sure your later model will also shortly. Have you tried a forced software update?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks as though things are progressing.

As someone said above, if you are having troubles, do a "Refresh Internet Content" in the Network menu.

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Looks like there isn't going to be any significant dual running between the availability of the TV software updates from Sony (Friday 5/9/14) and the decommissioning of the big screen platform (which the BBC have just stated will be turned off on Monday 8/9/14).

If your device is not getting the update then you just have this weekend left to use iPlayer.....

profile.country.en_GB.title
sony-cat

Thanks very much copicke45 and Quinnicus :slight_smile:

I don't know how to do a forced software update, but in looking for the option I came across 'Refresh Internet Content' and that worked, I am pleased :slight_smile:

It is a much improve layout, much better use of screen space.  It could be my imagination, but I think the volume has improved too, it seems to be louder.

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

I got the update too when I refreshed internet content.

UI seems a bit clunky but I'll get used to it,and it does seem to do more.

Does anyone know if there's a way to force the info popups to close after a pause?

Stuff like the progress bar.

I was watching something with subtitles. I paused, and when I restarted I couldn't see the subtitles till the info popups went away. On the old UI, the 'info' button would force them to close but it doesn't work now.

I'm just glad to have iPlayer back after a minor panic when I sat down to watch an evening of iPlayer last night and got the not available message.

Falmericon
Explorer

Mine is now working. I'm not impressed by the new UI though, very sluggish and unresponsive. But, on a positive note, the 'Return' button on the remote now seems to work most of the time.

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

It will be clunky and poorly responsive because it has been designed to work on current models of Smart TV which have more processing power.

It's like running Windows 7 on a machine built for XP.

But we have little choice - lump it or leave it i'm afraid. I doubt this situation will improve.