Join now - be part of our community!

Wrong time + greyed out time options (Bravia 2015 Android TV)

andrebrd
New

Wrong time + greyed out time options (Bravia 2015 Android TV)

Hi,

I have the KDL-50W755C, Bravia 2015 Android TV. Unfortunately, the time is wrong - its time is 88 minutes in the future. I wanted to change it in the settings, but all options are greyed out. When I go to "Settings" --> "Date & Time" --> "Time", only the option "Use 24-hour format" is available. All other 3 options, one of them "Set time", are greyed out. The time zone is the correct one.

So now the TV is showing a wrong time and is not allowing to change it. What can I do about it?

Thanks for your help!

Tags (2)
87 REPLIES 87
profile.country.NL.title
jornvm
Explorer

When i posted the antenna-workaround, i mentioned the Netherlands because i live here and know we have some free-to-air channels. This workaround should also work in other countries with DVB-T  networks, or even an analogue signal if that is stil available to you

But this fix should not be necessary, Sony should fix this in a software update.

profile.country.NL.title
Johnny_76
Explorer

I hope someone here can help.

I've had the date/time problem for ages - initially fixed by a firmware upgrade now doesn't work at all.

I just bought a DVB antenna. I've gone into the settings and performed a first installation, selected digital and 'aards' as the source. It says 'no services found'. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong....

I'm in Amsterdam - not sure if that makes any difference ?

I've tried again with wifi off. Am I missing something here?

On another note I cannot even perform a factory installation. The menu option appears for a split second and then disappears. I also tried forcing a factory rest and that doens't work. I have a KD-43XF8505.

Sony' customer support has been utterly dismal. I've had a dossier outstading for weeks apparenly been escalated to a different department but no response. I called today and asked to speak to a supervisor and have been told I'll get a call inside of 24 hours.

If anyone has any tips on how to effectively manage this complaint I'd really appreciate it. The TV's not even a year old....

profile.country.NL.title
hemant0102
Explorer

Hi @Johnny_76 ,

You can always trying using adb to sync the time using a laptop. I have a added a post on same thread which explains:
+ How to sync time of your tv with Laptop using Android Developement Bridge (ADB)

+ How to automate it and run it everytime you notice the problem.

If you still have questions after reading the post feel free to comment.

profile.country.NL.title
nenadx
Explorer

In the time when the fridge and washing machine have a network connection and ntp time sync, it is absolutely incredible that expensive (top end) TV doesn't have it or that is not working.

My preferred order of actions for the time sync issue solved:

1. Sony to fix that finally, as time has come to think about new TV (maybe not Sony this time)

2. DVB-T antenna set it, and forget about it.

3. Android Developement Bridge workaround, as I will have to search for that solution again after few months.

I connect an antenna, but search can not find any program. A am at the edge of Amsterdam (ground floor) and signal is probably to weak in my area, so I have to stick to ADB solution.

Thanks Hermant for that solution.

profile.country.NL.title
mhabing
Explorer

I don't understand why this is not a problem for much more people. Maybe the smart-tv functionality without a terrestial signal is uncommon. 

My preferred solution would be to allow me, the owner of the unit, to configure time and date options. Either let me manually set the time, or manually assign an ntp-server, or time-zone. 

M

profile.country.NL.title
pstpsk

Yesterday, after Android TV crashed on my AG9 OLED and I had to reset the TV by unplugging the mains, I ran into this problem. I noticed it when I tried to watch Youtube, which showed an "no connection" error. Same thing with Disney+, Videoland (a Dutch streaming service). Strange enough Netflix was OK, so was the firmware upgrade check. When checking the network connection I got an error with the connection to internet. Everything worked fine on my Apple TV, so I knew it had to be the TV.

Checked the switch, router, internet connection, utp cable. Tried to reset the TV, etc.....

Fortunately I found this topic and fortunately I could connect a satellite dish, so I could correct the time via satellite TV.

A few weeks ago I received the latest firmware upgrade (now Build: BRAVIA_UR2_4K_EU user 9 PTT1.190515.001.S74 636321, Kernel-version 4.9.125 #Fri Jun 12 17.48.13 JST 2020).

I blame this upgrade for causing the error because I never had any of this before.

I don't know if Sony checks this forum, but in case they do I like to urge them to solve this problem. I hope they will solve it in the next firmware upgrade. Preferably without user interaction, but if that's not possible I don't think it's very difficult for them to built in a extra step for us users to change date and time manually . But the best solution would simply be NTP! (This should have been done many years ago.........). 

profile.country.NL.title
Molis083

Well.. I just wanted to contact Sony to point them to his forum, and on the contact page is a big red bar with this problem:

https://services.sony.nl/supportmvc/nl/Contact/Email?cat=electronics?pdp=kd-55xe8599&cat=lcd-tvs-and...

Too bad, the solution is to connect a Cable TV signal.

I'm going to ask them to enable ntp settings. 

profile.country.GB.title
walkingdutchman
Explorer

Glad I found this topic... Got my Sony TV  (KD-49XG9005) 1 week ago and I'm in the same boat.

The change-language-and-reboot didn't help for me. Factory reset did help, but the effect didn't last very long. I might try the ADB option tomorrow.

I can understand why changing TV time is made difficult, because as someone else mentioned - one might use it to abuse time-restricted ondemand viewing. But why on earth not at least give the choice between Cable or NTP time syncing? Crippling a Smart TV this way, in 2020, it blows my mind.

I've also opened a case with Sony. The more they realize it's a problem, the sooner we might receive a proper solution.

profile.country.GB.title
walkingdutchman
Explorer

Ok I was impatient and tried out the ADB trick. It worked. Going to see how long it lasts.

profile.country.NL.title
Bramskibeat
Explorer

"Just found an easier way to fix this, you need to enable developer options by clicking Settings > About > Build, 5 times (just like on any other android device), then goto Settings > Developer options, and toggle off "Use broadcast-provided time as TV clock". 

Thanks you very much for posting this solution

After the last update I was also confronted with this problem with no internet connection as a result Followed your suggestion and the date / time issue was immediately fixed. Everything works fine again without performing a factory reset! KD-xxXG9505)