Join now - be part of our community!

Wrong time + greyed out time options (Bravia 2015 Android TV)

andrebrd
New

Wrong time + greyed out time options (Bravia 2015 Android TV)

Hi,

I have the KDL-50W755C, Bravia 2015 Android TV. Unfortunately, the time is wrong - its time is 88 minutes in the future. I wanted to change it in the settings, but all options are greyed out. When I go to "Settings" --> "Date & Time" --> "Time", only the option "Use 24-hour format" is available. All other 3 options, one of them "Set time", are greyed out. The time zone is the correct one.

So now the TV is showing a wrong time and is not allowing to change it. What can I do about it?

Thanks for your help!

Tags (2)
87 REPLIES 87

I bought a Sony 49XG8377 a week ago in the Netherlands. Only a usb keyboard, wifi, PS3 and PS4 connected. It was working fine for a week until message was showing "No wifi internet". I cannot remember I changed anything on the TV, only connecting a analog CVBS video source and a power cycle. The browser, Netflix and some other stuff works, but the message appears heaps of times on the screen. Youtube is not working at all, but that's why I bought the tv in the first place. The wifi says its connected but no internet. I am pretty sure its the time thing, because only thing that works is restoring factory settings and do all this s@#$t again. I didn't do the "abd" thing, not sure I want to. PLEASE PLEASE fix this bug its so annoying or do I have to return the TV because of a hardware bug?? Doesn't look like this is gonna be fixed looking at the starting dates of this forums?

Please everybody post if you have this bug, maybe it helps...?

Kingdom007
Explorer

I usually don't reply that much to forum posts, but now i had to!

Thanks Hermant, your adb commands and explanation worked really well.

Had to do them today for the fourth time this week (aargh), but no need to reset the whole tv and lose all of the settings/apps. This procedure only takes a minute or so.

After the adb command settings I was able to connect to the internet again and saw there was a new firmware update for my tv, it's installing at this time.

Hopefully the "feature" of not being able to change the time settings is solved with this update.

Thanks again mate!

Update with the new firmware: Time and date settings still greyed out..... 😞 hopefully it stays at the right time...

anilmechy
New

Thanks Hermant. Option 4 worked for me but when ever TV gets restarted, it starts showing wrong time again....

Is there a permanent solution to this problem?

profile.country.NL.title
itspvd
Explorer

Same problem "WiFi connected, no internet", wrong time and the greyed out time settings.

I live in NL, no antenna input available. 

Tried all 3 solution options and many more but nothing helped.

Using the PC connection is a bridge too far me. 

SONY should really provide a fix for this, it is a real shame!

kapteijn
Explorer

Thanks for all the suggestions, following this thread for a while now.

This really will not do, Sony needs to correct this. I was very happy with the Bravia but as things are now  it will be both my frist and last Sony TV.

profile.country.NL.title
nenadx
Explorer

Same here. I really like the picture and sound features, but all that hassle with time and network settings can make me think about the next purchase, and after 5 years that purchase time comes close.

profile.country.NL.title
hemant0102
Explorer

Guys,

I saw lot of people facing this problem and using the adb mode fixes it. However as people mentioned that the issue returns back after the TV is restarted (partially true) , I have scripted the option 4 as mentioned in my post to avoid performing all the steps again and again. And I would love to share the same with you all who are facing this problem. AGAIN SONY MSUT DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND IT SUCKS TO USE THIS WORKAROUND EVERYDAY I SWITCH THE TV ON (To me issue is not seen, if I have fixed the time and switched off and on the tv same day).

Prerequisites To use this workaround:

+ Using option 4 after you have enabled the developer mode and connected your laptop via usb cable to the TV.

+ enable the adb mode via wifi instead of using usb-cable via:

adb tcpip 5555

Detailed explanation given in below link:

https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/adb

+ You should have a terminal that can run a bash script. (MAC users can use Terminal  or Windows users can use Ubuntu-app from Windows store or some terminal emulator (mobaxterm or cmder)

Copy the below bash script and save it on your machine with a .sh file type. I named it fix_android.sh

#!/bin/bash

echo -n "Enter the Ip Address of the Android TV: "
read ip
port=5555

echo "Checking the connectivity to the Android TV...."
ping $ip -c 5 -s 500

echo "Checking the Developer Mode ...."
adb kill-server
echo ""
adb connect $ip:$port
echo ""
echo ""
echo ""

sleep 5s

echo ""
adb devices -l

echo ""

echo -n "Time before the Sync : "
adb shell date
echo ""
echo ""
echo "Let me sync the time on the TV ......"
adb shell settings put global auto_time 1

echo ""
echo ""
echo -n "After the sync time on tv is: "
adb shell date
echo ""
echo "Please check the time on the TV now ....." 

*************************************************************************************

Once you have saved it, provide enough permissions to execute the script via below command (I am assuming that user will save the above text named as fix_android.sh on desktop:

$ cd ~/Desktop/

$ chmod 777 fix_android.sh

$ sh fix_android.sh     >>>>>this will execute the script locally on your machine. Once executed , script will ask the ip of the TV (Please make sure that adb has been enabled to run on wifi/ip instead of USB)

Sample output from my TV:

sh fix_android.sh
Enter the Ip Address of the Android TV: 192.168.178.88  >>>I provided the ip
Checking the connectivity to the Android TV....
PING 192.168.178.88 (192.168.178.88) 500(528) bytes of data.   >>>checking connectivity, if ping fails please fix it
508 bytes from 192.168.178.88: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=2.44 ms
508 bytes from 192.168.178.88: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=2.24 ms
508 bytes from 192.168.178.88: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=25.2 ms
508 bytes from 192.168.178.88: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=2.37 ms
508 bytes from 192.168.178.88: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=62.5 ms

--- 192.168.178.88 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4005ms  >>>packet loss must be 0%
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 2.244/18.951/62.476/23.496 ms

Checking the Developer Mode ....
cannot connect to daemon at tcp:5037: Connection refused

* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
connected to 192.168.178.88:5555     >>>>>my laptop connected to TV wirelessly

List of devices attached   >>>MY TV details
192.168.178.88:5555    device product:BRAVIA_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:BRAVIA_4K_GB device:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:x

Time before the Sync : Wed Mar  4 02:47:15 CET 2020   >>>current tv time before script fixes the time

Let me sync the time on the TV ......

After the sync time on tv is: Tue Aug 11 18:58:21 CEST 2020  >>>>current tv time after script fixes the time

I HOPE THIS SAVES SOMEONE ELSES TIME TO FIX DATE AND TIME.

If someone still has issues please reach out to me on hesingh0102@gmail.com

Regards

Hemant

profile.country.NL.title
hemant0102
Explorer

Hi @anilmechy ,

Unfortunately, I could not find any permanent solution. It keeps coming back every day and therefore I wrote a small script that I run from a terminal everytime I see issue. Although I have to run the script but I am not following entire procedure, all I do is providing IP-ADDRESS of my tv and script takes care of the rest.

Regards

Hemant

profile.country.NL.title
jornvm
Explorer

I found an 'easy' work-around. Connecting a DVB-T antenna (Digitenne in the Netherlands) and  then set up the TV's digital channels using the Terrestial setting. In the Netherlands, the public channels are free to air, so the TV can use these channels to sync its clock with.

It took a few hours trying all these other fixes, i did not want to factory reset. Then i realised i had this old antenna stil laying around. Now all apps work again, YouTube, Prime and also the build in chromecast.

profile.country.NL.title
itspvd
Explorer

Super idea, this sounds simple.