Join now - be part of our community!

Wrong time + greyed out time options (Bravia 2015 Android TV)

andrebrd
New

Wrong time + greyed out time options (Bravia 2015 Android TV)

Hi,

I have the KDL-50W755C, Bravia 2015 Android TV. Unfortunately, the time is wrong - its time is 88 minutes in the future. I wanted to change it in the settings, but all options are greyed out. When I go to "Settings" --> "Date & Time" --> "Time", only the option "Use 24-hour format" is available. All other 3 options, one of them "Set time", are greyed out. The time zone is the correct one.

So now the TV is showing a wrong time and is not allowing to change it. What can I do about it?

Thanks for your help!

Tags (2)
87 REPLIES 87
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Wernervs,

Welcome to the Sony Online Community!

May I ask you in which country do you reside at the moment?

Cheers,

Dutchice

rsardv
Explorer

@WouterEnsing @radavi After last weeks big update i started having network related issues too on my Bravia KD-49XD8077  unfortunately.

I found this thread and saw your workaround/solution. So i went ahead and followed your instructions. And indeed, after selecting belgium i was able to change the option to "Network Time" like you said.

However, the time is set correct now, the Tv is still saying "Ethernet not connected". I do see the TV connected on my router, and the network status of the TV shows a proper client-configuration. It doesnt matter if i use network time or manually set it or change to Wifi.

Do you have any idea if i missed something ? if not, ill give the customer support a shot. 

rsardv
Explorer

@WouterEnsing @radavi weird stuf... just for the fun i've enabled the 2.4 ghz band on my router and connected the TV to it. For some reason this did picked up the network connection... After that i logged in to my router and saw the ethernet interface blocking internet access, no block on the 5ghz band. This didnt show up as blocked before...

After unblocking the ethernet it started working again, also the 5ghz band.

aw2xcd
Explorer

Just found an easier way to fix this, you need to enable developer options by clicking Settings > About > Build, 5 times (just like on any other android device), then goto Settings > Developer options, and toggle off "Use broadcast-provided time as TV clock".  (This fixes it instantly and you will see the thumbnails start to load in the background)

I too only use the TV for PS4 and netflix and don't have an antenna connected, so every time I unplug from the wall, it forgets the time and can't get it from the broadcast.

BTW I too am in NL, so maybe it's some local copyright law requirement, so the tv owners can't set their time backwards to watch expired video recordings or digital rentals.

profile.country.NL.title
Wernervs
Explorer

I am in the Netherlands. 

I revisited this issue as... ...it reoccurred. But I managed to solve it... well, at least for now it picked up the right date, but its  Time Management menu is still f%^#^&#'ed. 

The last time I reset the TV to factory settings. Then spent ages to set everything back up again. 

It stayed stable a couple months, apparently. Until now. It is 23 Dec 2019, 21:00h and the it thinks it is June 2019 06:50h... Same issue, once again. 

I read about aw2xcd's solution, entering developer's mode. That looked promising. But low and behold, it didn't list the option ""Use broadcast-provided time as TV clock". apparently I'm on a another firmware version that has this option wiped out or it was never there. So again, at a dead end there. 

I did get it back to work by following @WouterEnsing 's advice: 

In Language settings, set the language to Nederlands (België)  ==> Dutch (Belgium).

Then choose Instellingen -> Over -> Herstarten  (Settings -> About -> Restart).

It restarted and picked up the right date immediately (probably from either a timedate ethernet broadcast from the wifi network (it's wifi connected) either from my router or from the NTP service that is running on my PC.   

I'm not sure what would happen if I didn't have the NTP service running on my PC, maybe setting it to Dutch Belgium and restart it would trigger a datetime sync that would otherwise not have happened? 

Still the Date/time menu remains unchanged, no new options unlocked, items still greyed out etc. 

Whatever it may be, the missus can watch Videoland again... :-))))

I'm leaving it on Dutch/Belgium for now... sigh...

I am getting older though and I don't really like to be bothered anymore with annoyances like this, so I wrote my solution down to: 

1) maybe contribute to solve someone else's solution to this problem 

2) be sure I can find my own notes the next time...

profile.country.NL.title
Molis083

I have the same problem, but switching language or the developer options doesn't solve the problem for me.

Resetting the tv for just a time correction seems a bit much?? Why doesn't it pick up the network time (I don't have a broadcast connection). Or even better: Manual options! 

<Solution:>

In the developer options: Enable ADB debugging

Connect with a pc to your tv;

adb connect <ip> 

Give permission to connect on your tv

adb shell settings put global auto_time 1

That triggered the sync on my TV. 

profile.country.NL.title
naboude
New

Thank you, I'm having this problem still in april 2020 and resetting and selecting a different country worked perfectly.

profile.country.NL.title
hemant0102
Explorer

So, Its 22nd JULY 2020 and this issue happened third time in Sony KD-55XE8505. For the past two occurrences, I did the stupid factory reset to fix the problem. The problem got fixed but it takes lot of time, effort and energy to install 

apps and configure them. SO this time I decided not to go for factory reset and search for alternatives.

Landed onto this thread and started reading it. I tried all possible suggestions in the order below but only the last suggestion helped me out. I would recommend people try the last option (option 4) which requires some effort obviously but it would be quick instead of going through the rest of the steps.

Symptoms: 

+ None of the apps like - primevideo, ziggogo tv, tvzion, disney+ worked all of them reported network connectivity issue except one app NETFLIX (It worked without any issues)

+ The date and time were outdated. Manual option to change the date and time was greyed out.

+ I do not use satellite or media box so I could not try using GUIDE option as suggested earlier.

+ My TV is plugged to an ethernet cable, so when I check the network status, the status shows connected (moreover, as I mentioned earlier Netflix is working, so it isn't an internet issue)

Option 1: Suggested by @WouterEnsing  @rsardv I am in the Netherlands, so I changed my language to a nearby country (tried Belgium and Portugal), restarted the TV, performed sync, unfortunately, I still notice the old date and time. 

Option 2: Read somewhere in the post above to connect to the 2.5 GHz wifi which may resolve the issue, so I disconnected the LAN and connected to 5ghz first and later 2.5 Ghz but both reported no wifi connectivity.

Netflix was still working at this point.

Option 3: "Use broadcast-provided time as TV clock" from Developer mode - Unfortunately I do not have this listed with the current firmware version. Firmware is latest downloaded from Sony Website and installed on TV.

Option 4:

+ Switch the Android TV to developer option : tap the Build Number option 7 times

https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options

+ Enable the ADB debugging option inside the Developer options menu on the TV

+ Set the transfer mode to file transfer mode (or MTP) on the Android TV present in Developer options

+ Install the ADB (Android Development Bridge) from official Android forum:

https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

+ Unzip the tar/zip file and using terminal/cmd go to the dir until you find adb.exe. For example if I unzip my 

zip file in Downloads on MAC/Windows/Linux, run 

$ cd ~/Downloads/platform-tools/ - MAC/Linux

c:/> cd /Users/your_account/Downloads/platform-tools/ - Windows

+ Identify the ip of your Android TV - please check network on TV under settings

+ Connect your laptop and TV using a USB cable - I used USB-C (connected to laptop) and USB-A (Connected to TV)

+ run the below command

adb connect <ip of the TV>

+ At this point if everything is done right, you will get a pop-up on TV to trust the laptop (RSA Fingerprint). Or as @Molis083 mentioned earlier: Give permission to laptop connect on your tv

+ Select yes

+ run another command below:

adb shell settings put global auto_time 1

As soon as you run the above command you will notice that time has changed to the current time and all of your apps are able to connect back to the internet.

Disconnect the laptop from TV by killing the server

adb kill-server

Moreover, in future if you do not want to use USB cable you can enable debugging via wifi. Read the link below to do so:

https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/adb

I hope this helps people and saves their time. Sony must provide something simple to fix the issue, instead of forcing consumer perform all the ***** load of work. Highly disappointed with SONY and their crap piece of software.

popeztl
New

I manage to fix the issue by using command  `adb shell put global auto_time 1`, however if I cut the power and reboot the device, the date/time become wrong again. I found this is super annoying I really hope Sony can fix it in near future. 

profile.country.NL.title
mhabing
Explorer

The adb commands worked for me as well, thanks hemant0102.

Ridiculously complex work-around for such a major bug. Without the correct time the TV cannot connect to google and other services, took away half the functionality of the TV. I'm in the Netherlands, I don't have coax-cable (only HDMI and wifi/ethernet), so I don't have the option of sync-ing to 'broadcast time' at all.

By coincidence need to take the power off again this afternoon, so will see if the time-bug returns.