Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

So after the update, and a little time has passed, the slight improvements that were made like quicker response time on the menu and navigation have started to lag and go slow again. Buggy and sometimes non responsive! The obvious are still there like 5.1 missing and for some still the audio sync issue.

Just wondering if anybody else has noticed that after the update the improvements have started to go backwards too? Turning the TV on and off takes a little time, pressing home can be a bit ropey and then once in there, navigation can be jumpy and slow with the odd black screen or gray screen flashes. Pressing the guide button on the SKY remote makes the screen go black for a second or 3 and then I'm able to view it.... seems to be only once though, after the TV has been turned on once, after that I can press guide button on the SKY remote and it works with no issues?!

cozzykim

Yes, I noticed all these things as I posted above.

That's why I returned our 49X83 to Curry's on Monday.

If Sony manage (or care enough) to sort this TV out sometime in autumn, then I'll buy another one.

The alternative might be a Samsung UE48JU7000 - similar spec, but not Android powered - and it works properly.

If it wasn't for the tacky looking Samsung sound bar, and the fact that Samsung's TV foot is too big to sit on its own sound base (***** is that all about???), I'd have bought them in the same store the same day.

profile.country.GB.title
smiffy2

Well I finally sorted out the crap EPG and it's inability to "marker" an upcoming programme........

I bought a Humax HDR1100S and now watch my lovely new Sony TV through that.

It's EPG works like magic, I can remind myself (or more importantly my wife) that a particular programme is about to air, and the PQ is superb.

Sony could learn a lesson here.

Davidrfarr
Explorer

Have managed to upgrade the firmware on my 43W755C after 4 days of factory resets, unplugging, reboots etc. Contactied Sony Support by phone. They e-mailed me the following:

Thank you for contacting Sony support. Kindly follow the below steps.

• Put two copies of the firmware file on the same USB stick

• One of them with the original name

• And the other one renamed as 'upgrade_uploader.pkg'.

• Then  connect the USB stick to USB port 2.

• And then see if the update process will start as intended.

Followed the instructions and updated no problems. Hope this helps.

profile.country.LT.title
otkostas
Explorer

Yes it worked for my 43W807c. 

Thank you very much for sharing. 

Nick10k
Explorer

Thank you,  this update method worked for my 55x8509c.  Just a shame I now have other problems, the main one in that the TV hdmi with arc isn't working. Also can't get the bluetooth remote paired, can't watch TV some times.   I'm still not really happy...... Humm

AnisKhan

Omg, Amazon 4K has appeared!
MikeLothian

It's showing up for me too - shame the 5.1 surround isn't working - so far the only thing that's outputting 5.1 is TV channels when films are broadcast with it - all other apps including the Videos one only outputs 2.1 stereo - I mistekenly thought that beasue it was outputing Dould Digital on the Videos app that it was outputting 5.1 but it wasn't

For anyone, who cant get their 3D glasses or Touch remote to pair; go into
settings and TURN ON Bluetooth.
Don't know why, but the tv decides to turn it off by itself sometimes....
-.-'
elraouk

Hi

Have the 43" and 49" versions of the X83C, although only the 43 has made it out of the box.  I was excited by the TV as it meant I could just have a TV in the lounge.  No need for a freesat box or a media player, as I could make the switch to using PLEX with the Android App.

Very disappointed that these two key features don't work!!  Lots of people have reported issues with the EPG (basically it is rubbish and needs to be re-written) and the lack of HDD recording. 

Also lots of discussion about missing 5.1 audio from apps like PLEX, but my main issue with PLEX is that it reports my network is not quick enough to stream moderately sized HD files (~1Gb for 42 min TV episode) in "Original" format.  My TV is connected to via ~30m of Cat6 cable to a Netgear rack mounted gigabit switch which also connects to my server (i7 4790K, 16Gb RAM) via a short cat6 patch cable.  The same files play flawlessly accessed via a Boxee box/SMB share when it is connected to the same network port in the lounge; so am pretty sure it is not a network issue, but an issue with either the network adapter in the TV or the software.

Have seen people complaining about HD streaming from Amazon, which I would assume could be a similar issue with the TVs NIC, but nobody complaining about streaming performance with PLEX.

Unfortunately I have had the TVs since June 3rd, but only unboxed it last week due to having building work going on; so am outside my 30 day no quibble return but have already emailed Sony with a demand to return it under Sale of Goods Act!

Any PLEX tips for those of you who have it working??