Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Deanfeuillade

I lost count of how many times I have tried to pair untold sets of glasses with no luck at all.

i am still waiting on somebody from Sony support to come back to me but I'm not holding my breath!

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

elraouk,

regarding plex i dont seem to have any issues playing contect or streaming content with larger file sizes. Ill confirm tonight on a HD file size to make sure.

mine is also via a 1GB network all connected via cat5e to the media server/tv etc.

5.1 is definately an issue though and noted by plex thats its a limitation on the operating system verison on the TV's.

elraouk

Thanks petsmart

Am new to PLEX, so may have some setting(s) wrong somewhere; am also going to try one of the other network connections I had installed behind the TV (3 in total) just in case the cable is damaged.  Might also try some file transfer tests by plugging in a laptop and accessing file on my server.  I will be very surprised (and disappointed) if the transfer speed is less than 40 Mb/s which is a far higher bitrate than any of my files and should allow uncompressed blu ray ISOs to stream!

profile.country.GB.title
mcqweb
Explorer

I get the same issue with Plex. The NIC in the TV is 100 Mb/s (Why not put a 1Gb in a 4k tv for the extra pence involved!). Playing remuxed BluRays I occassionally see the same message about network speed. Apple TV connected to the same wired hub can play them back seemlessly

elraouk

Using a 100Mb NIC is tight for such an expensive TV and one that boasts 4K streaming!!

Even though, 100Mbps should still have plenty of headroom for even the most demanding of HD files I have on my server!  I doubt anything gets near to even 20 Mbps to be honest.

profile.country.GB.title
jwq001

@Deanfeuillade wrote:

I lost count of how many times I have tried to pair untold sets of glasses with no luck at all.

i am still waiting on somebody from Sony support to come back to me but I'm not holding my breath!

I originaly had some problems with that. Firstly the tv had turned off bluetooth. After turning it on I still could not pair the glasses. I found out that a power supply transformer for a phone I had, plugged in a socket below the TV, apparently created so much interference it disrupted the bluetooth radio signal. After relocating the power supply I had no problems.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
tcviper
Explorer

Those having problems with Plex, try disabling Direct Stream under Settings for now :wink:
That should allow you to be able to stream just fine.

Concerning 5.1 sound, that is still with Sony/Google as it needs to be enabled on the TV for apps.

Sdroid

Both the built in video app and kodi is playing both Dolby digital and Dts so it's must depend on the apps that do not allow pass trough

Weird enough, my PLEX on the TV does remux without problems, no buffering
or anything (20-25gb files) but it can't play a 600mb episode of South Park
without getting the "Your device/server is not powerful enough" or that my
connection isn't fast enough...
elraouk

Turn off Direct Stream on the server or client?

To be honest I have only tried the one file and am using the free App (so limited playback) as I just wanted to check it all worked....(fail!).  Will try some other files and see if it improves.