Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
tennysonman

Follow the steps below to initialise your Touchpad remote:

1. Unplug the power cord (mains lead) of the TV.
  2. Remove the battery cover of the Touchpad remote.
  3. Press the touchpad area for 5 seconds while pressing the VOL - button and the POWER button.

Once successful, the red light will blink twice.
  4. Plug in the power cord (mains lead) of the TV.

NOTE: After completing this process, you must pair the Touchpad remote control with the TV. For pairing instructions, view the following article: How do I pair my Touchpad remote to my Android TV?

profile.country.GB.title
Rush8080
Explorer

We are thinking about buying kd55x8509c. We saw it at currys and it looked stunning. But after reading this forum I'm not so sure. 

cozzykim

I've joined this community just to pass on my experiences with our new KD-48X8509C and HT-XT1 soundbase.

We bought them as a package from Curry's a week ago.

The concept of the TV and soundbase are, IMHO, very good.

From day 1 we had problems:

I couldn't get any sound through the ARC channel whatever I tried and ended up using the optical sound connection in desperation. Because I though it might be a problem with our old HDMI cables I bought a couple of HDMI 2 High Speed cables. While waiting for delivery of these the TV got an OTA update and the ARC channel started working :rolling_eyes:

The Freeview EPG never populated during the week that we had the TV, the sound would double in volume when changing channels, there was a loss of picture/sound sync, the TV rebooted a couple of times and sometimes got rebooted when my wife held the power button down because it took ages to respond to her pressing.

The Home, Back and Action buttons were inconsistent in their response times and, a couple of times, we thought that the TV had frozen, as we got blank grey screens that lasted for about 20-30 seconds.

We did get another update later in the week which, as reported a few pages back, appeared to improve the sync issues.

By now, and after reading this forum, we had lost confidence in the TV, and in Sony's continued commitment to fix the obvious problems with the OS, (anyone who bought an Asus Transformer TF101 will know what I mean :wink: )

Discovering that Sony were now offering a free PS controller with purchases after the 15th July, and that we were excluded because we bought our flaky Bravia TV on the 12th, plus the fact that we paid £1149 + £219 for the soundbase a week ago, and the TV has now been reduced to a £999 offer price at JL and Curry's, was the final straw.

Our TV and soundbase went back to Curry's today for a full refund, on the basis that it was "not fit for purpose", which was accepted without too much argument.

We've reinstalled our old TV, and I'm tempted to wait until maybe mid september or october to see whether Sony has ironed out the unacceptable problems and (in my opinion outrageously) missing features this TV, HD recording and PAP for example.

I'll keep coming back here to check on progress and, IF it ever gets sorted, we'd be more than happy to buy the whole package again.

The coherence of the TV/Sounbase concept, coupled with the stupendous picture quality, upscaling and sound quality from the HT-XT1, make it a fabulous package - if only it had worked properly instead of being half finished.

Hasta la vista guys (well, for now anyway).

Edit: I'm missing the superb HT-XT1 soundbase already, what a great piece of kit. :cry:

profile.country.GB.title
blinkinek
Explorer

Hi guys,

Thanks for the touchpad tips. I've tried that but after holding all three mentioned buttons (main touchpad, power, vol-) nothing happened (I tried many times and like for more than 10 secs). Afterwards I tried to hold the vol- and microphone button and suddenly the mentioned light at the back started blinking. It was blinking until I connected the cord again and started the tv. Afterwards the same story, no connection to the tv and no response from the remote...

Any other ideas?

virusse85
Explorer

Me too, I was going to buy a KD49X8305 but now I'm not so sure. In preparation I downloaded the current V2287 firmware update on my Mac but once unzipped the file name is wrong and the resultant file is slightly smaller than before it was unzipped! Can I assume Mac users are'nt suppose to buy Sony equipment?

As a point of interest its supposed to be a folder called: sony_tvupdate_2015_2287_eub_auth but instead I get a "package" called:sony_dtv0FA50A09A0A9_00014100_08EF000A.pkg

I've always had Sony TV's in the past

Nick10k
Explorer

I'm having the same problem with my 55x8509c trying to update.  It loses connection around 90% when downloading or reboots without applying the update via usb.  Just downloading the latest update today to try again.  If you find a resolution I'd love to know.  I can see this being a return to store...........I really hope Sony can sort these out

virusse85
Explorer

I update firmware from other companies like Pentax so don't know why Sony are different.

profile.country.GB.title
jwq001

@blinkinek wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the touchpad tips. I've tried that but after holding all three mentioned buttons (main touchpad, power, vol-) nothing happened (I tried many times and like for more than 10 secs). Afterwards I tried to hold the vol- and microphone button and suddenly the mentioned light at the back started blinking. It was blinking until I connected the cord again and started the tv. Afterwards the same story, no connection to the tv and no response from the remote...

Any other ideas?

I assume you have bluetooth enabled on the TV ?

profile.country.GB.title
blinkinek
Explorer

yes and my bluetooth keyboard works like a charm.

profile.country.GB.title
Dazrise3

Currently on 4th factory reset and downloaded latest firmware again with no joy.

email to support came back with Have i turned off the TV which was 5 days ago, sent a tweet to @sonyuk on sunday to be told someone will pick it up, no joy...

think it might have to be a call to credit card company for a refund.