Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
oodles2do

I've owned the Sony KD-49X8305C for around 5 months now and I'm still getting an incredible amount of stability issues. The TV freezes multiple times a day and will frequently reset itself. Does anyone else have this level of problem? Or is it a bad set that I've got?

julianblack

Hi oodles2do.

That sounds like you've got a typical 2015 Sony Android TV. That's why so many of us have complained and returned these sets.

I for one am now happy. Because of Sony I have now discovered the joys of LG.

Sent from my iPhone
Csg3060

Hi.
Same model. Newest fw. Same issue.
I have to unplug tv 2-4 times a week.
Sometimes it seems like managing Tv is frozen.
Sometimes the ind channel up/down changing is randomly.
More irritating issues than the two mentioned.
oodles2do

Well, at least it isn't just mine being a faulty set! I've been very understanding with software updates and patient with it, but nothing is happening. After any update the stability isn't any better; I've got a smaller, older Sony TV and that works perfectly. It's a bit slow in certain apps but that's due to lack of processing power.

dazworld

Until about 2 weeks ago I thought I was one of a few experiencing issues with these sets too (I have a 49x8309). This was until I discovered this forum about the wealth of issues customers have, and are experiencing. I now feel "somewhat" comforted that it's not “just me”.

Since purchasing the set around 4 months ago - and very quickly recognising the fact of the set having issues from day one - I started to jot down the issues (using the time whilst I waited for the TV to reset/re-start each time (this wasn’t fun when watching TV late at night and sleepy and simply wanting a reliable TV set not just at that time)). I have a list of 36 issues, and I sent this list in a complaint letter to Sony last week (via post). I’ve not yet had a reply but since sending the letter I can 4 more issues to the list.

I am not prepared to go through any anticipated painful return discussions with Currys on this set, so I await Sony’s response (as the manufacture). Pending that, I’ll post my 40 issues on this forum.

I'm hearing LG and Samsung sets having more positive responses from those on this forum who returned their Sony 2015 set.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

julianblack ha scritto:

I for one am now happy. Because of Sony I have now discovered the joys of LG.

Sent from my iPhone

What about looking at your new LG in a dark room? Its IPS panel gives you the same blacks as the Sony?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@rooobb wrote:

What about looking at your new LG in a dark room? Its IPS panel gives you the same blacks as the Sony?

Do you mean regular blacks, or the ones the Sony does from time to time that flash onto the entire screen without warning?

i am sure the LG won't be putting up as many blacks as the Sony Android sets do 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
julianblack

Hi rooobb.

Maybe not. But the thing actually works as a TV as opposed to an instrument
of technical torture!
oodles2do

It's annoying because I'm really happy with the picture, there is a bit of light bleed and the blacks could be darker. But the image is excellent, especially 4K.

Surely it's just a case of software updates and optimisation? The guide for example is painfully slow loading when the TV first starts up, but surely it can be a lot faster seeing as it's just loading text from memory.

It could be an issue with Java too, considering it's Android which is built on Java. I know that Java can be really slow at first but after a little bit it becomes really quick.

Csg3060

Agree, picture is excellent.
Just returned home to see som tennis, picture froozen in home menu! Will wait a couple of minutes before i power of Tv. Irritating. Im looking forward to a functioning fw. I'd be sad to return Tv, but my patience is beginning to run out. Bought the Tv 4 months ago.
Come on Sony!

Venligst

E-mail grave@post.tele.dk