Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
oodles2do

Yeah I'm the same, I like the TV too much just to take it back. Does your picture actually freeze whilst it's on TV or another input? My menu system only ever freezes, so I might not be able to change channel or view the guide but the TV is still OK and I can carry on watching the programme (which isn't great if it's stuck on something rubbish!)

Csg3060

Picture newer freeze but it seems lagging when unable to change channel.
Regarding my previous post. When frozen i homemenu I was able to use Sideview to manipulate tv. No Sound though.
Toggled power. Tv and Remote ok.
MightyQ
Explorer

Do you know if using these televisions via a Virgin TiVo box or Sky Box eliminates a lot of the problems experienced with the remote , EPG , etc

oodles2do

No I don't sorry, I only use the inbuilt freeview HD. If someone else knows then that'll be good to know, although it'll be a lot of extra money to get those services becaues of a slow TV. 

profile.country.GB.title
peterk_1
Explorer

@marcuz_89 wrote:

Hi, I'm developing an app in AndroidTV for SonyTV Bravia. This app is a porting from a webApp, so I use a WebView.

I have an issue, I have to differentiate and map the color keys (yellow, red, green, blue) on the remote control in JavaScript inside the webapp, but the keycodes returned by the KeyboardEvent in javascript are all equals to the code "0".

I can differentiate these buttons only in java Native Android code, what is the best way to mapping the codes in the webApp?

I've not studied the loads of Android TV documentation at developer.android.com but have a look at http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent.html and constants such as:

"public static final int KEYCODE_PROG_BLUE Added in API level 11

Key code constant: Blue "programmable" key. On TV remotes, acts as a contextual/programmable key.

Constant Value: 186 (0x000000ba)"

elraouk

My observation is that a lot of people reporting issues ddo usethe in built tuners or have lots of apps. 
I have Sky feeding via hdmi, Youview disabled, plex and Amazon prime and I do have the occasional issue, but nothing like people reporting daily power cycles.  I try to reboot once a week (as I do my phone and tablet) and keep it simple. 
Remote lag is my worst issue, which I think contributes to the screen locking up as it tries to work out what's going on. 
joquinn27
Explorer

I already have a Virgin TiVo Box and would love to buy one of these televisions but only if I could be reasonably sure that by using the Virgin remote most of the time then my issues would be few
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

royabrown ha scritto:

@rooobb wrote:

What about looking at your new LG in a dark room? Its IPS panel gives you the same blacks as the Sony?

Do you mean regular blacks, or the ones the Sony does from time to time that flash onto the entire screen without warning?

i am sure the LG won't be putting up as many blacks as the Sony Android sets do 🙂

I've to admit you made a funny comment :slight_smile:

Anyway I didn't have any black freeze on my KDL43W805C in more than 6 months, so it could be something related to UK special features I guess.... But the blacks on a living picture ... WOW... I have an IPS KDL42W805A too so I know which is the difference...

julianblack

Hi elraouk.

The issue is why should an end user have to perform work arounds or avoid features of these TVs to make the experience bearable? A TV should a entertainment appliance and not a flipping exercise in damage limitation.

Sent from my iPad
elraouk

You are directing your frustration at the wrong person, I just answered someone's question with my own experiences and observations.  
Did I make excuses for Sony?  No.  Do I agree we should need workarounds? No.  Please direct your frustration at those to blame, not me.