Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Z2 Tablet Wont Charge or turn on.

Nev62
Visitor

Xperia Z2 Tablet Wont Charge or turn on.

Xperia Z2 Tablet Wont Charge or turn on. There is no red charging led (light) when connect to power ber either the usb port or the magnetic port on the bottom (or both at the same time).

Have tried charging over night, have tried holding power and + buttons for 30  seconds and then reconnecting to power, have tried red reset button for 10 seconds and have tried combination of all of these.

Connecting to a PC via usb also does not register that any thing is connected.

Tablet is just under 12months old.

26 REPLIES 26
Kalahroud
Visitor

My Xperia Z2 tablet stopped charging too. It happened when the battery was completely flat and so the tablet was switched off. I could not recharge the tablet (the red light would not come on).

I tried different cables, etc. No change. The problem was the charger. Sony, in its wisdom, has made the Xperia Z2 with a slow-charge battery. Continued use with a normal charger (these days most chargers are 1000 or 1500mA) causes the problem. It seems that these higher 'mA' chargers will work when you are topping up the power but not when the battery is completely flat. I was using a new charger (from my new Sony mobile) which is a 1500mA charger, and the red charging light would go off.

I changed the charger to a Sony 850mA charger (i.e. same charger that came with the tablet) and it now charges without fault, albeit slower.

Unhappy18
Visitor

I tried the lower amp charger as someone else mentioned when plugging into an older laptop, now it charges all the way til green - but still doesn't switch on.

Similar to freezer trick, drain battery over a month, magnetic charger, xperia companion, red button etc.

Nothing has worked for me simply after I manually restarted due to it running slowly.

With the amount of complaints for this design flaw I'm surprised Sony hasn't got more regard for their brand reputation, I've been buying Sony since 80's walkmans but this product - and the amount of people with the same problem that no acknowledgement has been made, has changed my mind about the company. I struggle to justify paying extra for a Sony product when this is the outcome.

poolman
Visitor

I spent about 30 minutes in contact with Sony via chat talk and got the answer "send it to our service engineers".  This appears to be just a means of getting more money out of the Sony customers.  Sony obviously know what is causing this but won't divulge the reasons or the remedies because they make a fortune on repairs.  COME ON Sony treat your customers with some respect and tell us how to repair this fault or risk losing loyal customers for ever.   

USA78
Visitor

And it worked on mine too.

Ad72
Visitor

For some months my Tablet wouldn't turn on after a normal charge. I would put it back on charge and often in a few days the red light will come on and it will start, but not this time. What can I do?

Karhu
Visitor

Wish iw read this before i bought my z2 tablet, got it used so no waranty left had it for 3 days and started to not charge, thought its the battery so bought a new one, well typical my luck no difference.

Tried all tricks but nothing, its dead.

Reading all the users having trublet with the z2 im really wondering with the tablet not been recalled from the market.

It's broke..

SI73
Visitor

Re: Xperia Z2 Tablet Wont Charge or turn on.

I had a similar issue with my Z2 tablet.

It was completely dead, and did not seem to respond to anything. No red charging light, no response on any buttons and no "hard reset"-methods was working.

I was just a short minute from throwing it away, when I found a strange solution somewhere.

"Put it in the freezer"....

I would normally thought this is bad for tablets, but since I had kind of written it off, I gave it a try.

And then after an hour or two in the freezer, it actually was alive!!

It now responded, and the red light flickered on for charging.

It seems like charging it through the magnetic port was best, so I did that.

No, it is at 80% plus and seems to be in perfect condition...

So:

If your Z2 seems completely dead, try putting it in the freezer before you throw it away. At least it worked for me!!!...

As above I was at a loss and just about to call time on my Z2 tablet, saw the above and thought why not I have nothing to loose, I left it in the Feezer over night and low and behold the dam thing is alive and kicking.

Gob smacked Yes

Suprised Yes 

Would I recomend it Yes it worked for me.