Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Z2 Tablet Wont Charge or turn on.

Nev62
Visitor

Xperia Z2 Tablet Wont Charge or turn on.

Xperia Z2 Tablet Wont Charge or turn on. There is no red charging led (light) when connect to power ber either the usb port or the magnetic port on the bottom (or both at the same time).

Have tried charging over night, have tried holding power and + buttons for 30  seconds and then reconnecting to power, have tried red reset button for 10 seconds and have tried combination of all of these.

Connecting to a PC via usb also does not register that any thing is connected.

Tablet is just under 12months old.

26 REPLIES 26
Gabinka
Visitor

I can magnetically charge my Z2 phone. But not my Z2 tablet. Z2 phone is running into boot loop issues and only works sometimes, like now as I'm typing this. Tablet didn't have any of those problems. Just went off and wouldn't come back on until I used the yellow button. I can charge with USB but not magnetic dock.
Nev62
Visitor

I could not charge with either the magnetic or usb connections. It did start to charge at one stage, for a couple of hours (red LED came on), but when I tried to start the tablet, nothing happened except for the red light going off.

Foobar73
Visitor

Hello Sony-Support,

if one reads only the first page of the Tablet Z2 sub-forum, one can definetly see that there's a problem with charging.

Nearly 10 entries in June, all with nearly the same problems. The Tablets are older, younger, heavily used and nearly unused.

All with the same problem.

Mine has this problem too:

- Charging icon jumps on and off

- DIsplay doesn't turn off while charging

- Reparing with PC-Companion is only a short solution

- Charging only up to 60 to 80 percent

Why does Sony ignore that there has to be a bigger problem?

With kind regards,

Marc

Nev62
Visitor

Fault was found under warranty, the main board has been replaced.

Z2Tablet_Utilis
Visitor

Hi,

I had the same issue and got some defective mechanic pieces and the motherboard replaced under the warranty. After 2 months (waiting time for the spare components + assembly + shipment), I got my tablet back by February 2017, factory resetted.

I tested it thoroughly (reinstall all apps, restart, etc) and it worked well.

Now in June 2017, I rebooted it again after several months without doing it, with the battery fully charged... and it blacked out again. No charging red LED light. No vibration with either the Volume+ button or the red button by the memory card. No recognition under Sony Companion. Just a beautiful, useless rectangular piece of electronic components with the Sony logo on them.

I don't know what to say. Every warranty has run out and with the components replaced, I cannot understand how this issue came back. But the product is definitively flawed, and I will publish this situation on every Sony Xperia Tablet review I see in the Internet so that at least it gets some visibility on future versions (and obviously won't spend money on the Xperia Z4 to see if this issue persists).

linuscat
Visitor

alright, i needed to write this as a future reminder to myself...

my tablet z2 also had the same issue.  will not charge or turn-on.  press the little red button besides the sd-card slot.  tried the soft reset. nothing worked.  the only hint i got was one time, the red charging led indicator was blinking red.  this was a huge clue on what was going on with the tablet.  

from what i gathered online the red blinking light means that the tablet is in the process of a complete battery discharge.  why this is happening.  i don't know.  i do know that once the process is finished (a few days, in my case, i think a week and half) you can charge the tablet normally.  

i waited, i plugged, ten minutes later, i return press the power button and see the battery visual showing 12% charging.  powered it on and it worked fine.  now browsing and playing games on it as if nothing has happened.

Lee7
Visitor

Trading standards issue this give them a call 

Luks2009
Visitor

Hi if is not red light when you connect power cable this is not battery 

i do arleady 3 tablet Sony z sgp521

This faulty means the cpu was overheating 

and you you have to do reflow with flux 

Sony missing do thermal pad on cpu 

When repairing my first this model I think as well battery gone in 3 month tablet 

Sava20
Visitor

why didnt you ask?

SteinJ
Visitor

I had a similar issue with my Z2 tablet.

It was completely dead, and did not seem to respond to anything. No red charging light, no response on any buttons and no "hard reset"-methods was working.

I was just a short minute from throwing it away, when I found a strange solution somewhere.

"Put it in the freezer"....

I would normally thought this is bad for tablets, but since I had kind of written it off, I gave it a try.

And then after an hour or two in the freezer, it actually was alive!!

It now responded, and the red light flickered on for charging.

It seems like charging it through the magnetic port was best, so I did that.

No, it is at 80% plus and seems to be in perfect condition...

So:

If your Z2 seems completely dead, try putting it in the freezer before you throw it away. At least it worked for me!!!....