Join now - be part of our community!

Tablet locked by MXTP

Fyll
Visitor

Tablet locked by MXTP

Hi,

after a reboot yesterday, i saw the "Theft protection"-"Protected" screen as usual.

But this time it told me that my "Password or Username" are wrong, but they are not.. so the whole tablet is locked now.

After i found this topic i tried to factory reset the tablet via "Sony PC Companion" and deleted all my data on it but its still locked.

Im unable to reset it via "My Xperia" cause ive removed my tablet there yesterday in hope it would help.

The local "Xperia Care" told me that sending it back to Sony and get it repaired at my own cost is the only way to get my new tablet back.

So for all of you who are still able to use the Tablet:
Please deactivate this buggy feature by
"Settings" -> "Security" -> "Protection by my Xperia"

as soon as possible - if you dont want to lose your tablet.

32 REPLIES 32
NickGray
Visitor

It being at bootloader level to prevent someone getting around it is a feature, yes.... It automatically activating when you try to remove email settings (not the actual account/profile just email settings in an app) is most definitely an issue
Fyll
Visitor

Thats a known issue with MXTP.
Many people have these problems as you can see here oder here caused by Sonys developers. Their "high-level-security"-tool is depending on 3rd party-Apps... when they change something  it wont work together anymore - and thats why we dont have no working tablet anymore.

All WE can do is warn all people we know to never use MXTP or any other Sony-software at all.

They dont know what they do.

Fyll
Visitor

@uliwooly

I really dont know if you think your post would help me at all.

As you can see in my first post, i've already contacted the local "xperia care".

The only reason why i've opened this topic here is to warn all the Z4-Useres out there:
PLEASE DEACTIVATE THIS FEATURE - its a buggy piece of software

NickGray
Visitor

Yeah saw your post and I thought I'd make my own as well... Known issue that hasn't been addressed since launch of the three new products.

Anyone else has this issue take a look on XDA... A few people there have had some success, I sent mine off as I'd only had it for a day before this happened so Sony can take the time doing it instead of me 😁
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Fyll

Fair enough but this is a user based forum, this has to be requested directly to Sony 

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

NickGray
Visitor

@uliwooly as you can see we are both using this as

A) a post to warn others of this fault

B) you are still telling us to do something that we have already done. Whilst I'm sure you are trying to be helpful you really aren't. It's a known fault. You can stick up for Sony as much as you want but the fact that this is spread across a number of devices and has been going on for a while warrants attention.

Yes this is a user based forum.... That is why we are warning other users.
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@NickGray

Granted that, there are other posts on similar topics, it'll be better to post there.

NickGray
Visitor

I can only see one other on the Z4 tablet section and it looks like the OP has given up on it so I would say it's better to make all users who may be affected aware so that it is easier for people to find.
Cuts down on spam posts/duplicates and helps the most people without them having to trawl through hundreds of posts or "search" for the exact wording 😉
drlmiles1
Contributor

The important thing here is to warn other users about this very serious fault. If my tablet is nicked, then it is gone, and I am unlikely to retrieve it. I am far more likely to end up with a useless tablet if I leave this bug ridden software running on my Z4 Tablet. From what I have read here and elsewhere, ALL users should deactivate this software as soon as possible, BUT ensure you have all the correct details for the main GMail account on the tablet

Zampano
Visitor

Thanks to the initiators of this post.

I found the same issues when using multi user setup on Z4.

Only for the "owner" the theft protection somewhat works. All other users suffer.

I deactivated it after 2 days owning the device as it became unusable. Now I know that it's not me just being stupid but this piece of software being broken.

Zampano