Join now - be part of our community!

vista cd key

profile.country.en_GB.title
nernesak
Visitor

vista cd key

Hello, I just reinstalled my laptom vgn-nr10e again to vista and I have problem why my vista cd-key is not valid where is sticky down on the laptop |?| Maybe sony incorporation gives everyone false vista windows also cd keys ?(back of the laptop ?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.pt_PT.title
V57...
Contributor

Hi aizberg911,

The vista cd-key sticky down on the laptop , is not a Microsoft key but a Sony key...

If it is the same version, disable your internet connection and call Microsoft to activate your windows vista...

Best regards

profile.country.en_GB.title
nernesak
Visitor

but why its written vista on the label?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It will not activate a non-Sony OEM version of Vista. You cannot use that key to activate a 'clean install' from any other Vista disc.

You have only got a license to use the Sony OEM Vista version. Reinstalling the Sony version does not require an activation key.

This used to work with XP but Microsoft have stopped it working with Vista. If you want to 'clean install' Vista, you have to buy a Vista version with its own valid license key.

:slight_frown:

EDIT: v.57 could be correct in saying that Microsoft will activate by phone - you will have to try them!! Thanks v.57.

:slight_smile:

Chanandler
Visitor

Yes they will sort it out over the phone. I have a Dell Latitude that came with Vista business on it and it packed up the other week, an engineer came out and swapped the laptop except for my hard disk and on reboot it wanted to re-activate Vista.

We typed the key in on the bottom of the laptop but the automatic process didn't want to know so I called the number and a very nice man from Microsoft gave me an unlock key after asking me some basic questions.

Nice and quick and took about 5 minutes all in all and even the phone number was a free one :slight_smile: