Join now - be part of our community!

Updater - Help

pauluslonginus
Visitor

Updater - Help

I bought my first vaio two days ago and I am quite impressed. The past two days, though, the updater has constantly complained that I need to install Adobe Premiere 3.0. I go to the updater page and download the file [which is huge and takes about 12 hours to download on broadband], but when I try to run it I get archive error etc. I raised the matter with technical support, but they do not know what the matter is. In fact, they claim that the programme is not part of the updater and that is must have been something I installed on my own [not the case]. HELP.

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Thalamus,

Yes, I seem to remember we have had this problem before with Premiere Elements with the FE or was it the FZ Vaios?

The strange thing is that pauluslonginus has downloaded Premiere Elements from Vaio Update - I would not expect this to be available on any of the Sony servers. It is not on the AR51J download page.

Hi pauluslonginus

Do you have Photoshop Elements 5.0 in Start -> All Programs?
Do you have Adobe Acrobat Standard 8 or Adobe Reader 8.1?
Have you deleted or uninstalled anything?
Are you using the original Operating System?

:thinking:

pauluslonginus
Visitor

Yep, the only adobe product that seemingly came preinstalled was acrobat which I ran yesterday for the first time and which then proceeded to install itself. I have also seen it mentioned somewhere that adobe premiere elements comes preinstalled, but it certainly did not come preinstalled with mine. Now I have an annoying little updater icon in the right bottom half of my toolbar asking me to update it. When I click on it, it goes to the updater page and under the heading support news a link to the adobe premiere elements 3.0 appears. When you click on it you get the following text:

"Sony has identified that your VAIO is missing the Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 software.
We have provided a link below to make this software available for you by download.
Please note the download will consist of 651MB and will only install on your VAIO notebook.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Your Sony VAIO-Link team.

Download and installation instructions:

Save the file to a download directory.
Exit all running programs.
Go to the download directory and double-click it.
Please wait while the installation files are extracted onto your computer.
Click Allow when prompted by the Windows User Account Control dialog box.
Choose a setup language (English, French, German, or Japanese) and click OK.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Please accept below disclaimer to start the download."

It then proceeds to install and absolutely enormous file which takes all of 12 hours to download on broadband. Once completed, when you attempt to open it up, it aborts saying archive type error or something. This is followed by another box with something like invalid address etc.

Really bloomin annoying.

pauluslonginus
Visitor

I am using the original operating system. The only things I have uninstalled are the norton 360 and associated symantec programmes as I use McAfee and the games things.

I do not have photoshop under all programmes. I only have adobe reader 8.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi pauluslonginus,

I have asked Sony to have a look at your problem.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

"Sony has identified that your VAIO is missing the Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 software.
We have provided a link below to make this software available for you by download.
Please note the download will consist of 651MB and will only install on your VAIO notebook.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Your Sony VAIO-Link team.

Ah that would explain why Adobe Premiere Elements could not be found on your Vaio..

pauluslonginus
Visitor

I hope they could also explain why neither photoshop nor this premiere elements things were preinstalled on my laptop even though they were supposed to be. I tried the online support thingie, but just got a very unhelpful response saying the elements thing was not part of the preinstalled programmes and should not be there. Really helpful that was.