Join now - be part of our community!

Awful Problem With New Laptop SVE1512M1EW

profile.country.en_GB.title
alastairsmith17
Visitor

Awful Problem With New Laptop SVE1512M1EW

Hi i have typed this up many times so i am just going to copy and paste what i have said to sony 4 days ago (No Reply Yet!). so here it goes

Hi i have a major problem with my new laptop, i originally thought this was a faulty laptop, but this is my second one after exchanging my original one which had the same problem. a friend also has this laptop with the same fault.

The fault consists of two actions i do to the laptop one is updating the windows 8 apps and the other is updating windows 8 through windows updates. my computer seems to struggle downloading + installing the windows 8 app updates. sometimes the laptop will download the app updates easily and all will work fine, "UNITL" i reboot my computer. the laptop seems to boot up fine, its after i sign in to windows 8. when i log in and shows me the windows 8 start menu the laptop seems to crash and not let me click on anything. the mouse will move with a 5 second delay between each frame. basically the computer will not respond to anything apart from turning on and off and logging in after boot up. the same crash happens when i update my windows through windows update.

i am very disappointed in this, as i have had problems with VAIO's before. i really like the look, feel and the insides of this laptop to others on the market for the price.

i have tried the recovery feature by pressing the "assist" button several times to try come up with a way round it but the laptop keeps crashing

i bought this laptop from pc world (instore)

hope you can come with a solution

thanks

Hope someone can give me some advice or if a future update will resolve this problem

thanks for reading

10 REPLIES 10
alastairsmith17
Visitor

To add. when i turn the computer back on it works fine until i reach the start menu after login then basically it freezes

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi alastairsmith17,

This may be connected with the known problem with McAfee Child Protection Module. Have a look at the following thread.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/826423#826423

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
alastairsmith17
Visitor

hi thanks for your response.

if i uninstall McAfee will this problem be resolved?

i will be trying this after work.

thanks again

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Hi alastairsmith17,

I’m not familiar with either McAfee (have always removed it from any new machine) or Windows 8 but if this is the problem then uninstalling should solve the problem.

That said getting rid of McAfee is sometimes not as simple as removing via Control Panel and I suggest that you search the McAfee support site for further information. I found the following link but am unsure as to whether this applies to your version.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100686

Or the McAfee removal tool (MCPR.exe) maybe the answer.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Inti27
Visitor

This is a post from another thread. Hope it is of some value:

Pls see below for Sony Support memo sent out today:

As per our conversation, kindly be advised with the following information and steps:

McAfee has released a fix for the issue. Use the following steps to apply the fix to your computer:

1. Ensure your PC is connected to the Internet.
  2. Restart your PC.
  3. Log in to Windows.

Your PC will be silently updated with the latest fix.
If your PC is still frozen after restarting:

1. Ensure your PC is connected to the Internet.
  2. Restart your PC.
  3. Wait 15 minutes, and then log in to Windows.

If your PC experiences the problem again:

1. Start Task Manager and click the Details tab.
  2. Select OCPHelper.exe and end the process.
  3. Ensure your PC is connected to the Internet and wait 24 hours. During this time, your PC will be updated with the latest fix.
  4. Log in to Windows.

Best Regards

SONY SUPPORT TEAM

SUPPORT: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en

Personally I have deinstalled both supplied McAfee products using Control Panel, rebooted & installed AVG Antivirus Free 2013 http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage.

AVG is not as fully featured as the McAfee product, and may, therefore, not be suitable for what you require. Best then to follow Sony Support advice above.

Hopefully this is the end of this particular saga.

Thanks to Blencogo & also Mohammed T in the Sony Support Team for getting to the bottom of this issue.

Good luck!

alastairsmith17
Visitor

hi thankyou for your support. ansering a question on here works out faster then sending a email to sony twice and no reply in a week.

apparently windows 8 has security essentials installed in with the OS. Will i still need a anti virus software?

i normally use AVG Free Or Avast?

I have been totally put off by mcafee now as i was just starting to save important data on my laptop and then it crashed when restarted. not going to rely on them anymore

i still need to return the laptop i have as the touch pad click makes like a vibration noise like it is rubbing on something behind the touchpad. my first one did not do this either did my friends.

roll on laptop replacement no. 3!!

Thanks again for your support

kind regards

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi alstairsmith17,

The choice of antivirus software can be a point for heated debate but really boils down to the functionality and features you require. For most users I would maintain that the principal of keep it simple is the way to go.

I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials coupled with the Windows firewall and have done so since the days that it was a paid for application. I currently have this setup on three machines and have not encountered any problems.

You can of course run more than one antivirus program but only one firewall. Unless you have particular needs in the way of reporting, configuration or child protection I would stick with Security Essentials.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.hu_HU.title
aragon89
Visitor

hey

i had exactly the same problem! :slight_smile:

here my thread https://www.sony.hu/discussions/message/827057#827057

i simply erased everything related to macaffe, installed my own antivirus (Avira Free) and everything works fine so far!!! :slight_smile:

master.of.mischief
Visitor

When I got my laptop, McAfee was one of the first things to go. I got given Norton 360 for free and that works fine on my machine.

I also removed a few VAIO bloatware programs that I had no use for and stopped a load of stuff loading up at startup.

Runs as sweet as a nut.

Sony VAIO SVE151E11M