Join now - be part of our community!

*** Bravia KDL 55HX853 - WiFi Direct problems

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
brave01heart
Explorer

*** Bravia KDL 55HX853 - WiFi Direct problems

Hi, just rejoined the forums this evening and I'm lookng for help with connecting my TV to our SKY home network.

I've gone through the menu process of going to WiFi Direct and then choosing 'manual' and choosing WPS and I choose 'start' and press the WPS button on our Sky router but after about 2 minutes i get a message saying that trying to connect has failed.

I tried it several times but same thing happened.

I've detailed the basic isetup above and it may be that I've missed something out?  Can any members please advise where I might be going wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Wifi direct is not used to join your TV to your home network.  

Follow these instructions and you should be fine :wink:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/AE7H100511/ENG/c_cntnet_wfintegrated.html

Cheers

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Wifi direct is not used to join your TV to your home network.  

Follow these instructions and you should be fine :wink:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/AE7H100511/ENG/c_cntnet_wfintegrated.html

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
brave01heart
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus

Thanks for your reply which worked just fine!  Thank you :slight_smile:

With regard to WiFi Direct, I have streamed many video files to our TV and I just assumed that WiFi Direct was the method we used but, perhaps that was not the case?

What is WiFi Direct and what is it used for?

Now, going off tack a bit, I hope you don't mind giving me some help with a new Sony TV model I've been looking at John Lewis.

It's the Sony Bravia KDL 65W85 LED 1080P 3D Android TV and is priced at £1,199.00 with a 5 year warranty.

It's not a 4K which I would like but they cost quite a bit more.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Wifi direct is used for mobiles, tablets and even PCs to connect directly to the TV - i.e. to stream files like you have mentioned.

In regards to the TV at JL, im not too sure on what your question is?  

Happy to help by the way :wink:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
brave01heart
Explorer

Hi

Thank you for your reply and the info on WiFi Direct; I must admit that, up until now, I wasn't 

aware of just how useful WiFi Direct could be.

With regard to Sony TV I mentioned in my last reply, we are thinking of updating our present 

TV and, as you seem to be a expert member of the Sony Community who probably knows a lot

more about Sony TV's than we do, we would appreciate your feedback about the Sony TV we

mentioned in our earlier post.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Took me a sec to figure out the full model number, as JL displays it weirdly.  Anyhow its KDL-65W855C

I cant really tell you whether you should buy it, as im a little biased on this as well as i dont know what your requirements are.  

However lets start with Android itself.  There are some people (small but significant number) who have had or continue to have problems. Sony is committed to fixing these issues anyhow.  However the vast majority experience little to no problem at all.

Most people will agree that the picture quality of Sony's TVs are the best on the market.

At current, your existing tv is 55".  Do you need 65" ?  As you have said, this is not a 4K model.  So, a suggestion is if you dont require 65" save that money and go to a 55" 4K instead.

The best thing i can suggest is to read the reviews, especially from people who have the TV - I.e, Amazon Reviews.

http://www.whathifi.com/sony/kdl-65w855c/review

http://reviews.richersounds.com/5110-en_gb/SONY-KDL65W855CBU/sony-sony-bravia-kdl65w855c-reviews/rev...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00UPCJ0K4/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoi...

Cheers

DJayM1988

deleted hadnt finished typing and i accidentally hit post my bad
DJayM1988

@brave01heart wrote:

Hi Quinnicus

Thanks for your reply which worked just fine!  Thank you :slight_smile:

With regard to WiFi Direct, I have streamed many video files to our TV and I just assumed that WiFi Direct was the method we used but, perhaps that was not the case?

What is WiFi Direct and what is it used for?

Now, going off tack a bit, I hope you don't mind giving me some help with a new Sony TV model I've been looking at John Lewis.

It's the Sony Bravia KDL 65W85 LED 1080P 3D Android TV and is priced at £1,199.00 with a 5 year warranty.

It's not a 4K which I would like but they cost quite a bit more.

Wifi Direct is the best thing since sliced bread i love mirroring my laptop on my TV without a HDMI cable games seem to run well azwell no lag at all.

Admire ithe TVs beauty and then walk away these TVs are amazing but there really really buggy.

The remote control locks up and you have to leave it alone for about 30 seconds until it unlocks, this is a nightmare when your playing a racing game like asphalt 8 your car just just keeps going straight until you crash and theres nothing you can do but sit there and watch it happen (if you dont play games dont worry about it) it doesnt just lock up on games though it locks up in other places to like the tv guide and the google play store but not as often.

This only started happening yesterday the programme info box will sometimes refuse to popup to fix this you need to go home (the TV home lol) then go back to TV.

A  recent update removed the ability to use a custom Home Launcher so you will be forced to use the built in Launcher  (Leanback) which is just basic,slow and absolutely awful compared to for example Nova Launcher or an other Launcher on Google Play.

The TV can also freeze this is quite rare though hasnt happened for a couple months so they might of fixed it, when it does freeze holding the power button on the remote for a while will force the TV to restart, thing is it doesnt always work and you will have to switch it off at the mains.

The TV version of Google Play is extremely limited only apps that are built for Android TV will show up you can sideload any apps you might want though so thats cool and keep in mind Android TV is still new more apps will be made available in time.

The TV can also switch itself on so its best to mute it when switching it off incase it turns on and wakes you up. 

Id like to recommend Sonys Android TV to you but in my eyes its not ready its a pure mess im seriously considering trying to return mine and just buying a Android box and a different (but still Sony) TV instead. Im just waiting for Sony to get back to me if they bring back the option to use a different Launcher il keep it i can live with the issues and i think some of them will be fixed in time. I wouldnt worry to much about 4K its amazing but theres not much 4K content.

My model is KD49X8307C but from what ive read these issues have also been reported on various models of Sonys Android TVs. 

profile.country.GB.title
brave01heart
Explorer

Hi again Quinnicus

Thank you for the great summary of the Sony Bravia KDL 65W85 LED 1080P 3D Android TV.

Yes I've read various reviews and forums post on the Sony Android TV's and, tbh, it does put me off buying one but, buying from JL does make it reasonably easy to return if you're not satisfied with your purchase.

We have had our present TV for about 2 to 3 years now and, apart from the remote and EPG having the occasional funny turn, we have not really had any problems with it.  I normally try and update our TV's every 2 - 3 years and I don't normally go down in screen size so that's why I was looking at the 65" Sony which will just about fit nicely on the width of our chimney breast wall but, 65" would be the absolute maxium!

I'll carry on looking on JL's TV page but, at £1,199 that was a great price but you gotta wonder why it's so low?  It does have a lot of great reviews on the JL website page for that TV.  Do you know when it was released/how old this model is?

With regard to WiFi Direct, you were saying that you can use this for mirroring your laptop and I think you also said your iphone and ipads etc but, I've just had a look at WiFi Direct and I can't work out how to connect my iPhone 6S or iPad using it?

* Can you please explain how to connect / mirror our Apple devices to the TV using WiFi Direct - we have Apple TV which is great for mirroring our devices to the TV but it seems that if we can conect directly to the TV using WiFi Direct, we would not need to use Apple TV?

Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

For Wifi Direct on Apple devices, see these instructions:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31695

Screen mirroring from Apple devices is not possible to Sony TVs without Apple TV.  This is because Apple uses its own AirPlay technology, whilst the rest of the world uses Miracast. :slight_smile:

That TV from JL is probavly reduced because its a 2015 model.  This happens each year as retailers start clearing stock to make way for 2016 models.  To be frank, theres no real difference between 2015 and 2016 mid-range models.  

JL has a great returns policy and customer service, but if all else fails, you do have the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - see HERE.

If your in the market for a TV, take the plunge: D

Cheers