Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

I've just opened the iPlayer app on my Sony Bravia KDL-40CX523 TV and am faced with a message stating this version of iPlayer is being discontinued in September.

Is there going to be a new version I can use or does this mean iPlayer won't work at all on my TV after September?

105 REPLIES 105
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bernie-the-Bolt

Hi, welcome to the community I suggest that these may be worth a read firstly;

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/bbc-i-player-not-connecting/td-p/1645079/page/11 and (older)

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/iplayer-not-working-on-my-kdl-ex503/td-p/207952 My TV works fine for the new player which is the same software version so there may be something else going on. Let us know.

akhr43
Explorer

Thanks for your response.

I had already read all the threads I could find before posting, I spent most of yesterday reading various threads and people saying it was now sorted but I am still having problems.

I seem to have found out about this issue late in the day as I rarely use iplayer, but now when I do want to watch something I missed I cannot. 

How long should a refresh network content take?  I have tried several times and nothing seems to happen except the blue bit just goes across the line in the middle of the screen and it says "connecting to internet video service", but it never tells me it has refreshed - should it?  Am I being to impatient, I have left it up to 15 mins doing this but no change afterwards.

My tv seems to be on the list that should work, I have the correct software update, but still nothing.

I have not seen my error message posted on any of the threads I have read here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In your original request, you stated that your FW is version PKG4.117EUL-0108.  It may just be a typo, however the currect FW version is PKG4.118EUL-0108.  See : HERE for more details on the firmware.

If you have indeed got that firmware version, I would suggest a factory reset of the TV - it may clear out any 'gremlins'.

Cheers

akhr43
Explorer

Hi, it wasnt a typo, I just hadnt noticed the difference and thought I had the correct update.

I didnt know how to do a factory reset so I have now downloaded the update onto a usb stick, uploaded to my tv and all seems to be working now.

Thank you for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yippy !, glad it works :thumbsup:

SavioursSpirit
Explorer

Thank you Sony expert for information on iPlayer discontinuation.  Fingers crossed you will be successful with the TVs.

My TV keeps going on and off of its own accord.  I am hoping this is because of iPlayer software upgrades?  This did mend the last gap in ability to access the iPlayer.

Please keep trying to help those of us who have been loyal Sony customers for many years.  My two other small, more recent Sony TVs are OK but it is the principle of long term service that is in question.

Ballcocks
Explorer

This thread is 2 years old! A case of dejavue!

I have 2 Sony Bravia sets which give the message that Iplayer will stop in September 2016. Will they or wont they? Just have to wait and see as neither SONY or the BBC can seem to give a definative answer. SONY should be forced to supply an Amazon Fire stick or similar if the sets cease to function.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

Can you please reply back with the models of the TVs effected and the exact message and ill see if i can find out some info.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ballcocks
Explorer

Looks like my 2 smart TVs are redundant. 

KDL-32EX403 purchased Nov 2011
KDL-37EX403 purchased June 2010

Shame. 

Never buy a smart TV certainly not a SONY!

Buy an ASDA own brand you will get the same support!