Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55XG8596 DD+ Atmos 7.1 and DTS:X

SOLVED
profile.country.BG.title
tomazzo_bg

KD-55XG8596 DD+ Atmos 7.1 and DTS:X

Hi to all,

I had a Samsung TV and it made me mad because i couldn’t play DTS sound on it. I Bought Sony Android TV 55XG8596 with the idea i will be able to send RAW sound to my soundbar (Samsung Q80R). I had an android box and on it i could stream DTS:X and 7.1.2 DD sound. Now with the Sony i can't send nothing but 5.1. DD Atmos is working only on 5.1 on Netflix and MKV movies but 7.1 with Atmos and DTS:X 7.1 is not. Is there a solution for this problem? It drives me crazy. 

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@tomazzo_bg 

The weird thing at the moment is that a soundbar can pass HDMI perfectly to a TV with 4K and HDR and so on, but the TV is limited in what audio standards it can pass to the soundbar, either from broadcast TV or from devices plugged into the TV.

So the answer here, for perfection on two devices at least, it to plug them into the 2 soundbar HDMI inputs, and let the soundbar pass the video to the TV, instead of the TV passing audio to the soundbar.

if you have more than 2 devices that can use the full sound capabilities of the soundbar, then you must decide if you will plug them directly in the TV, and compromise the sound, or buy an HDMI switcher so more than two devices can sit on the soundbar’s 2 HDMI inputs.

But if you do, make sure the switcher can pass through everything that the devices can send, which the soundbar and the TV can play, video and audio, as these switchers are active automatic electronic switches, not Just passive manual ones.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@tomazzo_bg wrote:

Is there an app for Android TV that is able to passthrough a lossless signal with Atmos and Dts:x ? I bought the TV with the idea i'll need no more devices to watch SAT, Netflix, HBO GO and my favorite movies from the HDD with the full quality of picture and sound. I hope there is an app that can play my movies (those, who have 7.1.2) and will passthrough the lossless signal with Atmos and DTS:X. I guess this would be help for everyone, who want to have a less possible devices at home.

Thank you!

nope..... give up on that dream. eARC is more misleading marketing than anything else. Streaming services will not do that because of the bandwidth needed for audio and for your local files, get nvidia shield or some other external box which is capable of doing what you want. 

profile.country.BG.title
tomazzo_bg

RECAP:

There is no TV at this point, that can passthrough DD losseless + Atmos and DTS:X to any soundbar, no matter what app do you use. You can stream only DD+ and DTS (7.1 included as my experience says) and enjoy Atmos form Netflix and other apps but not lossless formats.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@tomazzo_bg 

Sad that you have accepted a rather defeatist answer, instead of my post that describes how to achieve exactly what you want.

@kinggo01  You say ‘streaming services don’t have the bandwidth’ and then recommend the Nvidia Shield - a streaming device.

And even if it magically did have the bandwidth, and @tomazzo_bg @ plugged it into his TV, it still wouldn’t be able to send its stuff down the eARC channel (according to you). That seems self-contradictory?

But it would be able to work, if configured as I suggested, and though it might not work for streaming services any better than the TV could, gaming, say, would be quite a different matter.

profile.country.BG.title
tomazzo_bg

Maybe there is a misunderstanding and I apologize for that, but all that noise was in order to find out a solution to work only with TV and Soundbar, without any other devices. If I didn't understood your post, I apologize for that. I thought that your solution is to plug in a device in the soundbar (like android smart box or NVIDIA shield) and play the videos through them to the soundbar and the soundbar will send the video to the TV.

Android Box -> Soundbar -> TV

And that was not my idea. I had that and I will probably have it fore a quite some more time, but  it was not my idea. I needed solution for:

TV <-> Soundbar

Thank you for your affords.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@royabrown2 wrote:

@tomazzo_bg 

Sad that you have accepted a rather defeatist answer, instead of my post that describes how to achieve exactly what you want.

@kinggo01  You say ‘streaming services don’t have the bandwidth’ and then recommend the Nvidia Shield - a streaming device.

And even if it magically did have the bandwidth, and @tomazzo_bg @ plugged it into his TV, it still wouldn’t be able to send its stuff down the eARC channel (according to you). That seems self-contradictory?

But it would be able to work, if configured as I suggested, and though it might not work for streaming services any better than the TV could, gaming, say, would be quite a different matter.

dude......his problem was his local files not streaming. So, playing them on shield would sort that. Also, if by some magic netflix would do lossless audio than it would work to since SoC in TV would not have to deal with it. TV would just pass it on like any other audio signal that comes in through HDMI.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@tomazzo_bg 

Yes, we are at cross-purposes then - let’s see if we can sort it out.

First, can you give me an example of a service on your TV (and not from anything plugged into It) that provides a signal which the TV can handle, but which can't be sent over eARC intact to your soundbar?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Hi @kinggo01 

But @tomazzo_bg doesn’t want to use any external devices - he just wants to use his TV and his soundbar only - he says so above. So that rules out using an nVidia Shield for him.

Also, I don’t think TVs can just pass through audio without knowing what it is, and how to handle it.

Otherwise, I would be able to pass DD+ from my NowTV stick which can handle it, to my Yamaha soundbar which can handle it, via my Samsung TV, which can’t.

It’s fine with the stick plugged directly into the soundbar, but if I try to go via the TV, I have to choose an audio option from the Samsung menu, and DD+ isn’t on it.

And if I send DD+ to any of the options, I just get audio silence, both on the TV directly, or on the soundbar.

Though maybe Sony Android TVs are different, and can pass audio formats they don’t understand?

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

I know. And that's why I told him to forget about that dream had one too, and the only way to achieve that is with external device.

Technical details on a side now, but from marketing point this whole eARC was bs, I was thinking the same and had the same idea but it turned out that eARC is not whato everybody hoped for.

profile.country.BG.title
tomazzo_bg

Guys, thank you for everything and I hope it will be possible soon, but not now.

I just don't understand one simple think: why isn't possible the TV to passthrough a signal and not identify it first??? Isn't it more simple to send whatever you receive, then identify it first and decide if it is DD or DTS or so on??? Isn't that a task for the audio receiver/soundbar??? If you ask me the TV should just pass everything through and let the audio receiver/soundbar to decide if he knows what that is and if he is able to play it!!! Just saying.