Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
andrewsoong

Yeah I agree. I'm just glad I bought it from Amazon so will have no hassle returning it if it doesn't improve.

I had a support call that went back and forth about five times and ended with them saying the Sonos Playbar doesn't support dd5.1 which is obviously not true. Just them trying to shift blame.

I replied to say it does but doubt I'll see anything more about that issue.

Sony were on Watchdog the other week as well for PlayStation stuff. I'd have thought they'd have given their support teams a kick up the backsides.
profile.country.GB.title
scottryan10

Hi,

Well, I have had a call from Sony CRO office yesterday, and they have given me a week for them to release all the software and send it to the Android TV units,  for the all the units to work.

Sony are fully aware of the Android problems, and they are mostly trying to pass the buck, but when you just keep on at them and stand your ground, they do sort of, well not admit, but say they "understand" the issues with the units.

I am promised a phone call from Sony about these ongoing and up and coming problems, and if it is not completely up to date, working, with the Netflix, HDD Record, Skype, TV guide wait...well, we know the list is getting endless....i will be liable for a return.

Lets see what happens...i will keep this posted.

Thx

lebarry
Explorer

It's just not android issues that customers are experiencing with the new 2015 android sets. I am having 3D woes with a two day old 43W809C model where the TV will not register/pair with the Sony TDG-BT500A 3D glasses, followed the register instructions several times but getting no message on the bottom right of the screen that the glasses are paired to the TV which you are meant to get, hence no 3D. Also had to do a reset after the "Action" button on the remote failed to work. I don't hold out much hope that the 3D issue will be fixed as Sony has a terrible reputation regarding 3D issues. Terrible pity as I am very happy with the TV picture wise but if I get no satisfaction with the 3D problem in the next few days then it goes back for a refund.

profile.country.GB.title
scottryan10

Hi,

Again, I am having the same issue with the 3D screen.
After paying extra money for the glasses, problem after problem..... It is just another nail in the coffin of all the 2015 model TV's.

These sets was rushed out to the consumer far far too early.....

Anyway, I am getting a call next week from the CRO office about the problems with my 43" model.

I will keep this posted up to date....
alellio01

Email in from Sony today, Seriously they want my feelings....

Sony 

Please let us know how you feel about your kd-49x8309c

Hi Al

Please help other customers by writing a review
about your kd-49x8309c. 

If you have ever used product reviews
yourself, you will know just how useful they
are.

Review your product now

The image for the (first) product

Thanks again,
Sony
mdcooper88
Explorer

Figured out where the problems lie with regards to USB Media, it is definitely a software issue.

I have tested various different scenarios and the only devices I can get to recognise and play media from are pen drives that are 64GB or less in size and formatted to FAT32.

Anything above that size or formatted to exFat or NTFS will show on the TV, but will not play any media from.

I have tried films and music and it stays at Loading then says either Cannot Play Video, or Cannot Play Song.

Pretty major issues really. I have done a factory reset also and still the same. I will report to Sony on Monday.

I am happy to work round it, and just use my 64GB pen drive for the time being but it not good really as this is basic functionality that should have been tested fully.

Matt
lesking70

Hi all, I also got an email asking me to review my TV, after I stopped laughing, I gave an honest review sticking to the guidelines, but it was a negative review, after posting the review I received an email from Sony saying my review hadn't stuck to the guidelines, and could not be published, it seems sony only want positive reviews!!!
alellio01

I Also gave an honest review, so i would suspect it will also be binned, but lets be honest what do sony expect.

I have a simple issue, tuesday my 14 day period is up,i have to return the tv or keep it as is. I have spoken to Currys, and they state that their agreement with sony, means after 14 days i would have to accept a repair, a refund is not possible. I explained about the issue being from purchase but that does not count because i know about it. The advisor said if it was him, he would request a replacement as the 14 day period starts again. 

profile.country.GB.title
scottryan10

I have had exactly the same..! you give your honest opinion about the TV, and Sony will not allow it to be”rated”…..WE are all telling the truth, and we are giving our reviews on the sets we have….Sony are bang out of order not allowing this reviews to get on their site….

I suppose the truth hurts……
Ikky2015
Explorer

New to this my very first post

I too have had similar issues to above.

Specifically when I try a full system reset, the set is blinking so that each screen only briefly appears making it very difficult to navigate and see exactly where you are and what you selecting to move onto the next screen.

I should point out that the Netflix or Youview app does not even appear as a choice. I currently have a youwiew box which I am using and when streaming netflix from my sony Blue ray certain streams (from netflix only so far observed)have produced intermittant snowing in dark areas (comes and goes)

Additionally I wanted to listen to a little music so connected my sony walkman, I found that it would freeze at random points to a white screen and stop playing, would resume again if I backed up, but the same would happen again.

Isn't there supposed to be a web browser with this tv?