Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
NickCo1979

The lack of stability is very frustrating. To address your specific question about the web browser see this link: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/73499

Like so many other things that haven't been finished for the Android TVs, the web browser is "Summer 2015", which inevitably means that with delays it'll probably be October......

Ikky2015
Explorer

Thanks Nick
Any help or understanding is always useful
And yes it is very frustrating.

Ikky2015

This e-mail is confidential. If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept these risks.
profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi guys,

Following up as promised.  I have checked and was told the firmware update (Netflix App) should now be available for download over-the-air. If somebody could confirm me? 

I was told the download version will be available on our support website later today via:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/android-tv

As promised I will start chasing for the info on the next update on timing and what exactly it will update.

Kindest regards,

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
NickCo1979

Just checked on my TV an it's available. Updating now, will report back once completed.

Thanks for the update :slight_smile: 

wills_b

Can confirm that Netflix is now working, but doesn't seem to be giving options for anything other than Stereo sound.

Can anyone tell me if they've managed to 5.1 passed back to their receiver via HDMI ARC?

I'm using a Pioneer SC-LX85 amp, HDMI 2.0 cable and HDMI input 4 on the TV, and can't get anything other than stereo on Netflix, Amazon Prime or YouTube.

Can anyone confirm that the TV outputs 5.1?

wills_b

Also just as a heads up, it's a fairly lengthy update process for Netflix, best part of an hour over fibreoptic broadband when installation etc factored in.

NickCo1979

Hi Nico,

Confirmed! Netflix is now available and working both from the app and from the button on the remote.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Quick question (if you know), did the update have any performance and stability updates in the changelog or was it just the Netflix app enabled? The guide and home screens seem a bit snappier but that could just be down to the restart I guess. Would be nice to know if I'm imagining it or not :wink:

Cheers

Nick

andrewsoong

I've had 5.1 working through the built-in Video app which I assume is their basic dlna app.

Only stereo for me through Netflix and Plex though. Bit of a pain as that was the main reason I got a new TV. This is through optical using a Sonos Playbar.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi all,

Not sure what exactly is in today's update but my gut feeling says it isn't just Netflix so happy to hear first feeling is a more snappier platform overall. 

Cheers

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
wills_b

I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to dig out an optical cable, just isn't ideal.

Thought ARC would work, and lets face it for something to output in stereo after 5.1 has been around in the home since the late 90s is really bad. But then it might just be something not agreeing between amp and tv.