Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Thx Alellio, you too.

You forgot to disable sarcasm though :tongue:

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
NickCo1979

Thanks for the update Nico. Communication is key with these kind of things and I think we would all appreciate regular updates from the team on how and when updates will be delivered (or even just the "we're working on it" reassurance as per your post). As stated so far the hardware itself is very good, but the software needs refining. Letting us know that refinement is in progress is more likely to ensure I wait it out until stable :slight_smile:

Cheers again.

mdcooper88
Explorer

Got mine delivered from Amazon on Tuesday,

Pretty happy with the picture and build quality, and size, cant fault that

Not impressed in the slightest with the Android OS, in my opinion our LG 47" TV that we bought 2 years ago is far superior, much quicker and looks much nicer.

One thing I really wanted to do is play files from my USB Hard Drive, so plugged it in and no files appeared within the video app, despite the TV confirming that the device had been plugged in.

So I thought maybe it doesn't like NTFS file system, so re formatted as exFat and it was exactly the same. So I plugged it back in and waited, and about 5 minutes later files started to appear within the Video app.

Didn't think it was right, so tried to play a video and it says loading video for a few moments then says cannot play video. I've tried numerous files, all different ones and none will play at all. It also seems to take around 20 minutes to even load the files on the drive and even then doesn't show all of them.

So I then tried a smaller pen drive instead, incase it didn't like the size of the 2TB HDD, and it does exactly the same thing, so to be honest its not fit for purpose at all.

Before I contact Sony, could this just be a dud set? or can someone else confirm that its the same for them?. I have tried all 3 USB slots on the TV too.

All in all, I think for an £800 TV with no 3D glasses and no smart remote I think it extremely overpriced.

Matt

profile.country.GB.title
vekariya
Explorer

Had the tv a little over 2 weeks now. 43" 4k Version.

It's very slow in switching between applications, or video sources have to switch off from plug frequently.

petsmart

Anybody else suffering from network connectivity issues on the TV.? I keep getting please check your network connection while accessing anything internet based. YouTube..play store , can't cast or plex.

My home network is completely fine just e wired or wireless connectivity to the TV. 

MikeLothian

I've had that issue too with the WiFi, it got so annoying I've switched to Ethernet until its fixed
petsmart

Nico also thanks for the reply and as you can see some frustrated customers. It would be great if there was a catalog of issues on here and what Sony are doing to address them including fixes if they are available. Can we get a page setup?? 

The support ticket responses I'm getting are general,vague and of no help to solving the many issues. Clearly there are some unknown answers to the issues we are all having. 

As for her link and summer 2015..that's great but  that covers a range of months and isn't very informative for us at home so are sitting with these issues daily. 

Regards

MikeLothian

I'm taking Summer 2015 to mean before September but I'm hoping the bug fixes are treated as a priority
andrewsoong

I feel a bit sorry for Sony here.

Although I do think they should have delayed (again, again) the TVs I think all the issues have stemmed from Google and their memory troubles with Android 5.0.

You can see now why Philips and Sharp haven't released theirs yet - They're just as buggy. But they had the sense to wait.

petsmart

I'm not sure in this case I find at times people can be over expressive while dealing with issues but my TV is basically unusable. All the main features don't work and based on the cost 1799.00 I should not be having to spend significant amount of time dealing with it. 

Can't change inputs on arc hdmi ..black screens while chancing inputs..intermittent to mostly no internet functionality..slow speech..slow menus...I have had the TV reboot it self several times. Now today's issue is my touch remote has stopped working and doesn't even pair.

Equally spending time with support which my case assistant is trying help but has no answers. The questions that also come back are so basic from the engineers I can't explain it any clearer. 

My loyalty will only survive so long.