Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
scottryan10

Hi All, 

I see they have released the dates for the updates.

My issue is, WHY DID THEY NOT RELEASE THE TV UNITS AFTER THIS TIME..??

I have been emailing Sony, and they are very patronising in the answers, "Let me transfer you to technical dept"

I dont need the Tech Dept, I need the returns dept. The set is back in the box, ready for them to collect it.

Sorry, but i am fuming about this issue...They dont even admit they have an issue with the Android sets, when sony clearly do...!

I will leave you in peace.....

alellio01

Hi friends.

Please read this, as this is what I've been told from Sony technical support, supervisor department, they were not willing to move me up the chain, yet anyway.

Sony are not aware of ANY issues regarding, hdmi problems, sound not working or sound lag problems on there new android TV's, In fact according to Sony I'm the only person to have contacted  them about it, that's why there treating me like I'm an idiot !!!.

They did say they are aware of the Netflix issue, fix coming soon. But we new that last week.

lesking70

Has anyone had issues using a sonos playback? I keep getting a crackling sound at certain points, it has only developed since plugging it into my new TV, works fine if the soundbar is plugged in to the ps4
lesking70

Sorry sonos playbar
profile.country.GB.title
scottryan10

Hi,

I have been emailing Sony all week about this poxy Android TV set they have supplied to me.

I have told them it is here ready to be returned back to them, as i dont want it.

So, they are aware of this issue with the sets, but as always they have their big blinkers on..!!!!!!!!

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER SONY, OR I THINK ANNE ROBINSON FROM A COMPANY CALLED BBC WATCHDOG, AND SEE IF THEY CAN HELP ME.

I have got no hair left now....!!!!!

NickCo1979

I've got to admit I'm getting pretty frustrated now. The performance of the TV is getting worse and worse. 5-10 minutes to load the guide, which is blank half of the time and then requires reloading. It just seems that either the hardware can't cope with Android or Android just isn't ready. Monday is a big day for me. If the new firmware just turns on Netflix and doesn't fix some of the performance issues mine will be going back. It's just not ready for market, simple as that.

alellio01

Hi friends.

I'm also sick of the hole situation, the fact Sony does not even admit any other faults worry so me, I'm at home today with a plan, ring Sony who did not ring me as promised, and if not results, I'm ring currys to have it returned.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi all,

Thanks for the discussion about our new Android TVs over the last couple of days.

We always value feedback and believe me our Engineers are working very hard to fix anything you have reported. As mentioned above by another community member, there is indeed a couple of over-the-air firmware updates planned.

What I could find out from our TV team is that following updates are planned. Monday 15th of June brings Netflix app for both 4K and HD models. The next firmware update to be released shortly after will include some stability improvements, as soon as we know what this includes and when it will be issued, we will let you know.

See our support page for a list of what’s coming this summer http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/73499).

In the meantime please continue reporting any potential issues including details of the conditions in which they occurred (what steps you took, any pictures you could give us to show us, etc…) the more information you can give the better.

Thanks for your continued support in this community.

Kindest regards

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
profile.country.GB.title
scottryan10

Hello Nico.

Can you please tell all the Sony customers that who's money you have, for all these TV's that dont function properley, and yet nobody will accept the fact that the problems DO exsist, and your staff are in denial about the problems.....what do we get for all this trouble then...???? We all was so excited to get the new Android TV and yet, oh boy, what a massive let down...!!!!!

I keep asking for my money back from the customer service centre, now i am being ignored. That is very rude to ignore someone.

Under consumer laws, I am entitled to a full refund if the item is not fit for its purpose. Which these Android models clearly are not.

The CRO office in Scotland are in denial too about these sets not working, and we have to wait for software updates to be released.....WHY..??

If you bought a car, and it never worked as it should, where would you take it...??? Yes, thats right, back to the dealers....!

SONY ARE BEING VERY IGNORANT ABOUT ALL THIS, AND I FIND THIS DISCUSTING..! 

Contact me if you wish, as i would like the set collected please, and i would rather go and buy another brand.

alellio01

<enable sarcasm>. A comment from Sony, Maybe a blue moon tonight also !

However thanks for the update, perhaps you could inform Egypt, who seem to be exasperating the situation.

I managed to contact Sony Customer Care UK, who were more helpful,

Have a great weekend everyone, see you all Monday.