Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
alanxce

@Patrandec wrote:

Hi all,  I am having all sorts of trouble with the Amazon instant video app on my 2015 8005c Bravia. When I load it up all I get is a blank screen and a spinning white circle.  I have to reset the TV EVERY TIME to get it to work.  It's driving me mad as it's the only way to use Amazons 4k programmes.  Is there a fix out there? 

I had a similar problem a while ago, turned out to be a loose ethernet connection and nothing wrong with the tv at all. If you have both wifi and ethernet connectivity try swapping over to see what happens.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

It's definitely not a tv issue as I have the exact same Sony tv and watch Amazon every two or three days. The only issue I every had with Amazon was solved by a force stop of the app and signing in again.  

mr.iceman
Explorer

profile.country.GB.title
sch295
Explorer

Hi @John1950Hitchin

Totally agree, HDD was never advertised to work with YouView. I wasn't expecting it too, and in fact I was pleasantly surprised that the native Guide wasn't too bad when I switched over to use the recording feature.

However, what I apparently missed, or at least I feel was never explained well by Sony/YouView, was that the ITV player and the All 4 player, would not work in this configuration. I may have missed it, but I don't think I've seen anywhere stated that these players would stop working when switching off YouView to use HDD rec. May be it's implied, but either way it was a surprise/disappointment. I can live without YouView, but having to chose between HDD rec and access to ITV and All 4 catch up players, is a very unfortunate compromise to have to make.

@Anonymous  Thanks also for you reply on this topic. Status noted, but see above for further clarification on point two! It's not the YouView bit that disappointed me, it's the lack of access to the ITV/All4 catch up!

Anyway, fingers crossed for a firmware update to tweak this implementation and allow standalone access to these players, same as BBC and Ch5.

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Has anyone tried sideloading the apk of itv hub or all 4? I'd never use all 4 anyway as you can't get any hd shows and the app is dreadful. I might try sideloading itv hub and say if it works though. 

profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

I've been using the HDD facility a little bit lately and it seems to work OK although the interface is somewhat clunky.

The permanently lit pink light with series linked recordings makes me twitch a little having experienced random switch on's in the past, do we really need this light on for a recording thats not due for a week?

It might also be nicer to access the delete function from the Title List menu to save having to go to the Action Menu.

My main dislike though is that there is no time display during fast forward or rewind, could the inclusion of this feature be passed to the Sony team for consideration in a subsequent software update please.

Apart from that the TV is working well, yes it sometimes hesitates for a second or three but sadly in my experience that's typical of Android.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @sch295

To answer your question - Sony has not got the license or rights to add ITVHub or 4OD seperately on its TVs like it does with BBC iPlayer or Demand5.  However with Sony's tie in with YouView, which does have the rights to those 2 catchup services, then these are activated upon YouView being active.

Without YouView, ITVHub and 4OD doesnt exist on Sony's TV.  Unfortunately the lack of these 2 catchup services has been going on for years, see this thread HERE

Its not ideal, but at least its a solution.

Hopefully this explains things

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Garymjh

In regards to Sideloading ITVHub snd 4OD, have a read of this post by xx4L0Mxx

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/how-to-download-new-apps-to-bravia/m-p/2059952#M36157

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Yes I installed the itv hub apk and it's rubbish. It's only in a very bad sd stream so is a waste of time. If hdd works properly however I'll probably never use itv hub anyway as I can just record what I want. Which I the case of itv is very little. Same applies to channel 4. Thank God the bbc iPlayer don't have such daft limitations on hd in their app. 

Patrandec

Thanks! Switched to WiFi from Ethernet and it worked like a charm.