Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

Lets hope you get one like my Sony, practically perfect in every way. You are unlucky.

Just waiting for the FW update to sort out the ITV hub problem, not a big deal as I have Virgin Tivo box that I can watch what I want.

adyjay33

I still have mine because I work very long hours and can't contact them....
Curry's were useless... Sony only work 9 to 6 whereas I work 6.30 to 7.00
each day... The TV has settled with the last update but is still not
perfect here's hoping another update will sort it.
Mind you after your 6th and now soon1 7th TV I ask the question why are you
still going for a Sony TV that has so any issues?
I really can't believe you would want to keep it...!!!!
KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
Holdski

Well sony have finally given me a refund and I bought a Samsung ju6500 and it's everything the Sony isn't. 

Everything just works flawlessly and the picture and sound are leagues ahead. 

I also bought an nvidia shield so I could still use android tv and that again is world's apart from sonys implementation. 

It did take 9 months and thousands of mails and phone calls to get to this stage. 

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

The ju6500 has no 24hz support which means it would make all movie content look , to me,unwatchable and juddery. That's a pretty major thing to be missing in a modern tv. 

http://4k.com/tv/samsung-ju6500-review-4k-ultra-hd-smart-led-tv-2015-series-un40ju6500-un48ju6500-un...

Holdski

I have watched a lot of movies on the Sammy this week,  on blu Ray,  netflix etc and not had one judder.  It's way smoother than the Sony.  It may not have 24hz but I honestly cannot tell.

I would prefer to have a tv that works the way a modern tv should than put up with random reboots,  horrible lip sync,  crackly sound,  dse, unresponsive remote,  missing features, having to input all the settings once or twice a week and so on and so on ad infinitum.... 

profile.country.GB.title
sch295
Explorer

New to the Community, so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

(on the whole I love the TV - 43W805C, but......)

I'd like to report two issues, or add a +1 if they're already in this long discussion thread, regarding the HDD rec implementation.

1) No Pause Live TV implemented. There is a messy work around, by pressing record while watching something, then switching to watching the recorded file, then press pause. But there has got to be an easy firmware update, to make this possible directly from watching live TV.

2) To use HDD rec, you have to disable YouView, but once YouView is disabled you can't use ITV player or All 4 player. This is really irritating. It's not practical to keep enabling and disabling YouView everytime I want to use the catch up players, then switch back to using HDD rec. Essentially with the HDD rec feature, Sony have now broken the catch up services offered.

I've contacted customer support a few times, but they keep telling me there are no issues to address, and it's like this by design.....I hope not.

@Anonymous Please let me know if these issues get included (or not) in your main issues thread. Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

This comes from Currys product information on thier buy page. 

YouView makes it easier than ever to find the programmes you want to watch. It lets you scroll backwards through the programme guide and select the shows that are available on catch up TV without opening a separate app. Simply scroll and select to watch the shows you've missed.

YouView offers you a consistant and easy-to-use experience, and includes scroll back, search, catch up TV and discover features. It includes access to all the normal free-to-air channels using the YouView guide and mini guide. Please note that HDD recording (REC) and satellite features will not be available when YouView functions are enabled.

For me recording was never offered while YouView is active.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there @sch295

Welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Unfortunately Sony is right in regards to these not being issues and by design...

1 - Time Shift (Pause Live TV).  This was never intended to be implemented, however you are not the only one that has suggested this.  This feature however has been suggested to Sony as a feature that many would like.

2 - HDD Recording and YouView. For quite some time now Sony has made it no secret that HDD Recording will not work when YouView is active.  I fully understand yours and others frustrations over this, simply because it is not ideal, confusing, complicated and quite frankly is a negative in regards to user experience.

Upon saying all this, Sony is committed to the Android platform and is continuously working to improve things.  Who knows, these two things 'could' be implemented in the future.  But currently - its just the way it is.

Cheers

mr.iceman
Explorer

Hi,

i have i a problem with sound from my satelitte reciver to x8509 when i change setting to in settings->display->HDMI 1 to upscaling after restart there is a sound for a few seconds and then screen goes black and after a second or two screen is ok but there is no sound. System sounds are ok. Sound from PS3 its ok.

Can someone help me?

Patrandec

Hi all,  I am having all sorts of trouble with the Amazon instant video app on my 2015 8005c Bravia. When I load it up all I get is a blank screen and a spinning white circle.  I have to reset the TV EVERY TIME to get it to work.  It's driving me mad as it's the only way to use Amazons 4k programmes.  Is there a fix out there?