Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VGN FZ 21S Broken graphics card/chip is it fixable?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mrmelrose3749
Visitor

Sony VGN FZ 21S Broken graphics card/chip is it fixable?

Hi there....

Newbie here.

I  have a VGN FZ 21S laptop which is well out of warranty.

The graphics card/chip has packed in, green stripes all sorts of colours on screen after I boot up.

My question is that I have read that this laptop with this particulat graphics card/chip is well known to have a major problem with the nvidia card, but of course my laptop is at leasy 7-8 years old and I assume that Sony will tell me to go and get stuffed, Is this graphics card/ chip problem fixable?

Is the card/ chip removable, or is it soldered to the motherboard?

please advise.

Many thanks

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dave and welcome.

Sony did extend the warranties from 1 year to 4 years for this problem but I guess all the affected models are now older than this.  I am unsure if you would be successful in making a claim against the retailer under the Sale of Goods Act - this has a 6 year limit.

The nVidia chip is soldered into the motherboard and not economical to replace.  However, the solder is the main cause as it was about then that solder became lead free and it is prone to fail under heated conditions.

Some companies offer a repair that involves re-melting the solder which can restore the contacts.  Try Googling for "Reflow Repair".

You can read Sony's original statement here: -

DistortedVideo.jpg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dave and welcome.

Sony did extend the warranties from 1 year to 4 years for this problem but I guess all the affected models are now older than this.  I am unsure if you would be successful in making a claim against the retailer under the Sale of Goods Act - this has a 6 year limit.

The nVidia chip is soldered into the motherboard and not economical to replace.  However, the solder is the main cause as it was about then that solder became lead free and it is prone to fail under heated conditions.

Some companies offer a repair that involves re-melting the solder which can restore the contacts.  Try Googling for "Reflow Repair".

You can read Sony's original statement here: -

DistortedVideo.jpg

mrmelrose3749
Visitor

Hi there....

Many thanks for your reply, I guessed what you are saying was coming, so the laptop is now in the skip.

Never again will I buy from Sony.

I am not going to spend hours on the phone to some Sony jobs worth idiot and get rules and regulations from their script book.

many thanks.

Regards

Dave

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Removed profanity as not permitted on the forums

mrmelrose3749
Visitor

Hi there.....

I have googled your suggestion and have only come across one firm who claim to do what is required.

Problem is, they are telling me that they have stopped repairing the chip in my laptop as they have had so many fake chips sent to them. They have also sent me an e mail in which they say that within 48 hours they will advise me as to what else I can do?

I was of the belief that it may well only be a dry/ cracked solder joint, so I am left wondering why they would think that i would need a new chip?

any ideas?

regards

Dave