Join now - be part of our community!

VGC-RC204 Recovery CD

profile.country.en_GB.title
ptang101
Visitor

VGC-RC204 Recovery CD

Hi there,

I've had a disc crash on my VGC-RC204 desktop and have had to replace one of the two drives. This has killed the raid (was set as striped not mirrored - doh!).

However, even although I still have the Microsoft licence key stuck on the back of the unit, I can't find my Sony Vaio/Windows XP Media Centre version recovery CD(s).

Are they available to download somewhere? or can some kind soul help?

I'd rather not use a spare XP Home Edition licence and CD I have as I'd like all the pre-installed software back too!

Many thanks in advance for any help.

'tang.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi 'tang and welcome.

If you cannot find or did not make Recovery Discs, all you can do is purchase a replacement set from Sony Support.  For licensing reasons these are not downloadable and you will need to provide proof of purchase if the Vaio is not registered..

I think Sony charge about £50 for replacements.

On RAID 0 Vaios, I always make at least 2 sets of Recovery Discs and, for good measure, make a full mirror copy of the RAID Array using Acronis True Image.

As this is a Sony forum we cannot discuss using discs from another user here.

:thinking:

ptang101
Visitor

Thanks for that - I thought it might be the case that if you didn't make them then you're in trouble.

I can't seem to find them from Sony - do you have a link that might help?

'tang.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

As your Vaio is outside warranty, you will need to use the premium rate phoneline.

09050310006 during office hours.

:thinking:

ptang101
Visitor

:laughing: Thanks! I'll see what they say in the morning!