Join now - be part of our community!

just had ereader prst1 but cant get on to book store and how do i get adobe reader to conect

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
carol233
Visitor

just had ereader prst1 but cant get on to book store and how do i get adobe reader to conect

:thinking:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
carpetmojo

Make it really easy if you're stuck with problems. -

1) Install Calibre - free ebook management system, brilliant.

2) Get/buy a book.

3) download to your PC. (When offered option "Open to /with Reader, select next below "save to file".

4) Save to lower toolbar.

5) Open Calibre.

6 )Plug reader in and let it introduce itself to Calibre , check it's showing as a drive in My Computer.

(A  "Send to Device" option should show at top bar of Calibre to show they're friends.)

7) Open d/loads on top (to right is prob best.)

😎 rt clik the d/load, select "Open containing folder".

9) Drag 'n drop the highlighted file to Calibre Library area.

10) Select Send to Device and watch "Jobs" whiz round till finished.

11) Read.

Calibre latest version (8.33) recognises x50's and T1 automatically.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

There is no UK Sony book store at the moment. You'll need to look else where for your books

And not sure what you mean about Abode reader, do you mean Adobe Digital Edition?

vbn361t
Visitor

Good to be told there is NO book store in UK, pity Sony could'nt tell us.  Having same problem getting Adobe Digital Edition onto the same reader, tho have it on computer.

Logieman
Visitor

When you install Adobe Digital Editions on your PC, you are given the option to authorise your computer with an Adobe ID. If you don't  have an Adobe ID, creating one is free and only takes a minute. The Adobe ID  enables you to transfer items protected by digital rights management (DRM)  between multiple computers or devices and restore them after a data loss or  system reinstallation.

If you choose to authorize at a later time, you can do so by choosing Library  > Authorize Computer.

Adobe Digital Editions allows you to transfer items from your library to a  supported eReader device.

Connect the supported eReader device to your computer and launch Digital  Editions. Digital Editions automatically detects the presence of your device and  offers to authorize it with your Adobe ID. If you have not authorized Digital  Editions with your computer, you will need to complete that first (Digital  Editions guides you through that process.

Although there is currently no Sony Bookstore in the UK yet it is supposed to be coming soon, perhaps has soon as January 2012 but maybe not! Meanwhile, Sony has supposedly teamed up with Waterstones and WH Smiths in the UK and if you open the Store in Reader on your PC you will find links to their e-book offerings. However, if you if you want to download any e-books the WH Smith site directs you to their partner's web site (Kobo) and whilst I have been able to download e-books to my PC from the Kobo website (using Kobo desktop) I have not yet found a way to transfer them to my Sony e-reader. Not much of a partnership with Sony! I haven't even tried downloading anything from Waterstones, because I couldn't find any free e-books on their site. I haven't tried the Mills & Boon link at all.

However, the good news is that there are plenty of free e-books that can be downloaded from other sites and if you use Calibre software (free download at http://calibre-ebook.com/download) instead of (or as well as) the Sony Reader software on your PC to manage your e-books you can search a whole load of sites for e-books very easily. Unfortunately, downloading e-books directly to your e-reader is not very easy, although it is not impossible. I am beginning to wish that I had bought a Kobo or a Kindle after all now!

carpetmojo

Logie - if you can get the books downloaded onto your PC, you can then use Calibre to drag and drop them straight into the Calibre Library area. Then connect reader with Calibre on screen, it recognises the device, you can then just "send to device" and that's it, job done.

You can just buy books, through PC, from sites like smashwords, and use inkmesh to find out where books are (Search engine).

Very good idea to sign up to MobileRead Forums, loads  of sources & resources, offers, a massive free library, and verygood - and pretty speedy - responses for help & advice.

Join that, and install Calibre, and life gets a lot easier !

Logieman
Visitor

Carpetmojo - My mistake! I have not actually been able to download any books from the Kobo bookstore onto my PC. Using Kobo Desktop on my PC, I can read the books that I put into my library on the Kobo website - more like a sort of 'virtual download' really. There does not appear to be any actual option to physically download any books in my library on the Kobo website but perhaps that is because I have only put free e-books in my library!

carpetmojo

Ah - I haven't felt the need to use Kobo/Smiths  - but have heard rumours about a certain clunkiness and erratic behaviour !

But I have to say, I had troubles with ye olde Smiths, anyway - books not downloading, and lack of interest about my plight from WHS.

I've given up on 'em really, so have yet to be convinced/persuaded to use the new arrangement.

. I suppose put me down as slightly biased !

I usually use Waterstones, Smashwords, and other suppliers, and pick up on tips etc.. from MobileRead.

Inkmesh can be useful.

NewKidOnTheBlock
Visitor

Read through all these but they dont answer my problem - any help for this...

I have installed Adobe Digital Editions on my PC and authorised it.  I have tried (and tried and tried) to get it to recognise/authorise my new PRS-T1 ereader to no avail.  The instructions say to connect the ereader to the PC via USB link (done) then launch ADE (done) and it will automatically recognise/offer to authorise the reader.  I get nothing!  I cant find a menu option anywhere to manually prompt it.  What am I doing wrong?

When I connect the ereader, it automatically suggests Data Transfer Mode so I tap the box.  Should I just leave it?  When the instructions say 'launch' ADE do they mean something more technical than double-clicking the shortcut on my desktop?  Out of ideas....:smileyangry:

profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

I think you need Sony's reader for PC installed for ADE to see your reader.

When you open ADE your reader should be listed on the left hand side

NewKidOnTheBlock
Visitor

Yes I also have the Sony Reader for PC installed on my laptop, but my ereader still not recognised by ADE...

(I have to say I'm not impressed that what you need to do isnt made explicitly clear as part of the instructions.  You shouldnt have to scour the internet to find all this out!)