Join now - be part of our community!

32.3.A.0.372 android 7 upgrade and BKB50 language switch issue

gbil
Visitor

32.3.A.0.372 android 7 upgrade and BKB50 language switch issue

After upgrading to 32.3.A.0.372 it is no longer possible to

1. select more than one languages for the BKB50 keyboard

2. and of course switch to another language

This is a major step backwards compare to previous android version therefore I expect that it will be fixed really really soon.

34 REPLIES 34
JardaG
Visitor

I have the same issue with the Logitech Keys-To-Go keyboard on 32.3.A.0.376. Ctrl + space used to work perfectly on Marshmallow, now on Nougat, I have to keep the settings app open and switch languages in the Settings for the physical keyboard, rather than conventiently using a keyboard shortcut. Feels like downgrade in terms of user experience...

lexuz
Visitor

+1 person to the problem with keyboard layouts switch.

I used to have 2 keyboard layouts (Russian and English) with my Z4 Tablet and external keyboard BKB50 and after upgrade to Nougat I cannot longer type in Russian. 

Sony, please fix this! 

gbil
Visitor

Seems like Sony took the "easy" way here and stopped replying/contributing when they run out of non valid responses.

My point remains, Google with gboard keyboard does this layout change just fine for Pixel C and it's hardware keyboard in Android 7.

Why Sony doesn't do the same for BKB50 ????

Andreyvit
Visitor

When it will be fixed?! I've started using Sony Brand since Sony Ericson Arc. I've owned Vaio Z41VRD, Xperia Z, Z3, Sony TV and that was perfect. But after two times software crashing on my Z5 Premium and long solving problems with this keyboard on Z4 it is a reason to change a Brand!

RenoYeh
Visitor

yes it is as-is behaviour of android 7, but BKB50 is sony's product... you should solve it. It is easy to solve, just give BKB50 a firmware update which can specify right fn key as "search key" and everything solved.

astras
Visitor

this is a discrace. this should have been fixed by now. Its not only dissapointing, its appaling the way Sony handles this

Tags (1)
MarkSmirnov
Visitor

When it will be fixed?! I will not advize to change the brand because I hope to sell this trash. tablet and BKB50 have no value without CTRL + space. I knew that it's not worth to update. Sony should show warning that it's update may lead to disaster. Is it the way to rollback to android 6?

MarkSmirnov
Visitor

P.S. or any other keyboard combination if CTRL + space is not available - there should be easy way to switch language on BKB50. Otherwise it's a pain.

gbil
Visitor

So with the 7.1.1 update I just installed I noticed a somehow changed behavior - not proper one still.

If you have more than 1 keyboards set like eg. Xperia and External keyboard, by pressing CTRL + SPACE it changes between them BUT BUT BUT BUT 

.....ONLY in the home screen, not when in an app!

And while this is a big shame. If it worked while in an app it would have solved the issue because for example the google keyboard creates 1 keyboard for each language you choose and with the CTRL + SPACE you would be able to change between keyboard thus languages. Now you still can but first you need to go to the home screen, hit CTRL + SPACE, return to the app which is not just far from ideal but plain stupid!!!

profile.country.el_GR.title
george_v
Visitor

If this is the case, i.e. "that this is as-is behaviour for Android 7.0." as @Christofer from Sony's support mentions in page-1 of this thread to be, which I doubt it is or that it can't be resolved through an official patch, then it should have been at least published an official manual, for those wishing, to downgrade to android 6. 

Regarding the workarrounds mentioned in this topic none of these work without severely affecting the user experience and the usability of the tablet. For instance, the best workarroud I have come up with when the active language needs to be swifted involves the followign steps: 1) switch to the "desktop view" by minimizing the active application, 2) press ctrl+space bar in order for the language to be swifted and then 3) return back to the application at hand and so on and so forth, which is an unbelievable situation considering that we talk about a sony product.

Kind regards,

George