Join now - be part of our community!

32.3.A.0.372 android 7 upgrade and BKB50 language switch issue

gbil
Visitor

32.3.A.0.372 android 7 upgrade and BKB50 language switch issue

After upgrading to 32.3.A.0.372 it is no longer possible to

1. select more than one languages for the BKB50 keyboard

2. and of course switch to another language

This is a major step backwards compare to previous android version therefore I expect that it will be fixed really really soon.

34 REPLIES 34
Christofer
Champion

Hi @gbil,

It is actually still possible to set more than one language at the same time when using BKB50. However, you need to select language for Xperia Keyboard rather than for BKB50 itself. This can be done in Settings > Languages & input > On-screen keyboard > Xperia keyboard > Writing languages.

I understand that this can be confusing though so I will make sure to forward this, as well as your feedback regarding switching to another language, as user feedback. Thank you for bringing it up, and I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

gbil
Visitor

I have already selected more than one language for the On-screen keyboard from the menu you mention. 

The BIG question is how to switch between them from BKB50 ? CTRL - Space doesn't work as it did before.

Christofer
Champion

I realise now that setting multiple languages for Xperia keyboard is only helpful if you use the word prediction of the on-screen keyboard while you use BKB50. It will not allow you to switch keyboard layout though, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I will forward this as user feedback and if I hear anything new about it I will let you know. Also, if you could send me your tablet's IMEI/IDID number in a PM I'd appreciate it. Slightly_smiling_Face

gbil
Visitor

I will send you IMEI etc but this is major issue at the moment.

From my point of view as a multi-language user the functionality of the tablet+BKB50 on which I was depending on for the past year has decreased at least 80%.  A prompt solution from Sony is not only needed but expected.

Christofer
Champion

Thank you! I have forwarded this internally and as soon as I know something new I will let you know.

Christofer
Champion

@gbil I'm afraid I've just received information that the reason this functionality is no longer present is due to how Android 7 works.

A workaround would be to use two different keyboard apps with two different languages set up. It is then possible to switch between them by tapping the keyboard icon found in the bottom right corner of the display while typing.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience this causes.

gbil
Visitor

Hi @Christofer

I don't believe that is the problem. If you search a bit you'll find out that the Google Pixel for example supports changing keyboard layouts using the google keyboard AND a hardware keyboard shortcut. Unfortunately using the google keyboard with BKB50 doesn't provide the same functionality.

Therefore Sony should do its research first and fix this in their keyboard or at least make it compatible with the google keyboard.

Any other "workaround" is no workaround, is trying to hide the huge pile of dust under a small carpet.

Christofer
Champion

I understand that you are frustrated but the investigation that has been made came to the conclusion that this is as-is behaviour for Android 7.0.

matveychuk
Visitor

You have to understand that such support team behavior is killing future Sony customers. The multi-language TabletZ4+BKB50 was the last chance. The absence of sony software drivers is not the question of android team, but yours one.