Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 7 installation on Vaio VGN-FZ31M

profile.country.en_GB.title
DragosNeagu
Visitor

Windows 7 installation on Vaio VGN-FZ31M

Hi all,

I bought a Vaio VGN-FZ31M in 2008 which came with Windows Vista. I've been very pleased with it and like it a lot, especially the design and build quality. Thus, I'd like to keep it going for a bit more time and been planning some upgrades (some more RAM and an SSD). Also, long time ago I purchased a discounted Win 7 license which only now I found the time to try to put to use.

However, I was no able to find any drivers for this model for Win 7 on the Sony Support website which came as a dissapointment. Has Sony abandoned this model? Is there any way to get a set of drivers that would work (not interested in the Sony utility programs, I just want to system running)? I already tried to install Win7 using the Vista drivers. Seemed fine and working smooth but after the Service Pack 1 installation it went BSOD...

I would really appreciate any help or discussion in this matter!

Best,

DN

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi DN and welcome.

Sony does supply a dozen or so Windows 7 drivers for your model - under the 'Latest Downloads - Windows 7' Tab here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FZ31M/updates

Where no Windows 7 driver is available, the Vista drivers should work OK.  These are under 'Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities - Vista' and you should look for updates under 'Latest Downloads - Vista'.

If you can identify the driver causing the BSOD, come back and I'm sure someone can help.

If you do not have time to read the BSOD screen, try turning off the 'Automatic Restart' feature temporarily and the screen will remain until you manually shut down.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

:thinking:

DragosNeagu
Visitor

Hi,

Many thanks for your prompt reply!

The drivers you pointed out are exactly the ones I used in the installation, although I did not use the updated ones from Vista, but I was a bit sceptic even about the updated ones since they are very old (mid 2009).

One thing I forgot to mention is that there was one part of hardward that in Device Manger appearned to not have been installed properly, the "Mass Storage Controllers" which I thought might be the card readers and I went along with it thinking Windows might just find updates for it at some point. The HDD related stuff seemed to have been installed properly.

Regarding the BSOD, I'll provide you with the info from it as soon as I get home.

Thanks again!

Message was edited by: DragosNeagu

DragosNeagu
Visitor

Hi again!

So, I turned on my laptop again but this time the screen turned yellow with nothing on it. After reaching desktop it revealed it had been through a BSOD with the details attached. It also claimed Service Pack 1 has installed succesfully, Also, some strange executables belonging to the touchpad keep asking me to run them. I unistalled the touchpad drivers and reinstalled them back. It seems at least there are no more BSODs upon restarting but the PC feels laggy and those touchpad .exe files still pop up at win startup.

Also, I've been thinking to start a fresh install in which I also used the updated Vista drivers which I haven't considered before.

Any input as to what had been causing the BSOD it or other advices are more than welcome!

DSC_0508.JPG

Thanks again!DSC_0506.JPG