Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-AR models HD 1080p HDMI and Vista

Moey
Visitor

VGN-AR models HD 1080p HDMI and Vista

Hi,

What? No 1080p video on my Vaio because I've upgraded to Vista?????

I have a VGN-AR21S with Windows XP MCE pre-installed on it.
I applied for and have received my Vista Upgrade and am trying to find out more information before I install it.
The booklet I have received with the DVD's is titled "Windows Vista Express Upgrade User Guide"
I quote from page 6:
"VGN-AR models: You will not be able to view the video content in the 1080p format when using an HDMI connection with your computer"

Would somebody from Sony who actually knows care to take the time to explain why this is the case?
How can this be deemed progress exactly?
The key selling point of this notebook was the blu-ray drive afterall.

If this is correct then I will quite likely not install MS Vista.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Moey,

I believe this may due to the fact that at the time of the Vista express upgrade release InterVideo WinDVD BD was not available..??

However InterVideo WinDVD BD Version 8.0.08.100 for Windows Vista has now been released as is available to download from Vaio-Link Downloads > Windows Vista > Application / Utility > Win DVD > Other..

Moey
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for your reply.
I'm guessing that you're just guessing!

Anyone actually know? Anyone done this yet?

With regards to the WiNDVD BD hypothesis....well page 21 of my aforementioned manual states

"On models with a Blu-ray drive: Intervideo WinDVDBD is not installed. Download the software using VAIO Update."

So I'm guessing it was available when this went to print.

Any way I can find out for sure before I decide to wipe my system....?

I googled for this issue and hit a thread I can no longer find regarding the video card driver for Vista needing to be updated by nVidia?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

With regards to the WiNDVD BD hypothesis....well page 21 of my aforementioned manual states

"On models with a Blu-ray drive: Intervideo WinDVDBD is not installed. Download the software using VAIO Update."

So I'm guessing it was available when this went to print.

Hi Moey,

Intervideo Win DVD BD was only released on 16th May 2007, so it would not have been available when the booklet went to print.. :wink:

You may find these links link1 link2 of interest..

For an official Sony response you will need to contact Vaio-Link .. :wink: