Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading Graphics Card: VGC-V3S

AWalker
Visitor

Upgrading Graphics Card: VGC-V3S

I would like to upgrade the graphics card on my VAIO desktop (VGC-V3S). However I am unfamilliar with the 'layout' of the motherboard on this model.

How do I go about opening the unit safely to replace the graphics card in this computer?

Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
William
Visitor

Hi and welcome to Club Vaio.

Your Vaio is considered a "desktop" but unfortunately it is more akin to a laptop regarding upgradeability.

I would be very surprised if your Vaio has a video card in a proprietary slot, it is more than likely that it has graphic chips soldered onto the motherboard.

Perhaps a knowledgeable peron with the same model can give you a straight yes or no with regard to your question..

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You have NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5700 graphics - which is a laptop chipset and can't be easily upgraded.

:slight_frown:

sandy_love
Visitor

Thats ridiculous! I have the exact same problem and the graphics card is laughable really. Is there any way at all to upgrade it even if it is difficult? If not that means me having to buy another computer and this computer is awesome apart from the graphics card. If thats the case thats the last time I buy anything from sony I spent a lot of money on this machine for it to just be outdated in a matter of months

William
Visitor

I am sorry, but you can't blame Sony with their all in one package.

Its down to your short sightedness regarding future requirements.

More fool you if you are not happy with the upgradeable factor.

sandy_love
Visitor

Yeah and Sony don't do it on purpose so that you have to buy a new lap top/ computer every year so that they make more money? I find that hard to believe that this is not the case as I have heard many people complain about their sony vaios. So don't insult me just because you feel the need to defend a huge money sucking corporation. I have always liked sony but I find the fact that you cannot upgrade something as simple as a graphics card ridiculous and had sony clearly stated that you could not upgrade the graphics card then I would not complain and I am obviously not the only one to not realise this as two other people on such a small forum have found this problem. So thanks for being absolutely no help at all when you supposed to be a VAIO "expert".

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi sandy_love,

Nvidia has released an external video card prices start at $17,500 but sadly for Vaio laptop owners, an external gaming graphics card is not yet available....:smileysad:

William
Visitor

Yeah and Sony don't do it on purpose so that you have to buy a new lap top/ computer every year so that they make more money? I find that hard to believe that this is not the case as I have heard many people complain about their sony vaios. So don't insult me just because you feel the need to defend a huge money sucking corporation. I have always liked sony but I find the fact that you cannot upgrade something as simple as a graphics card ridiculous and had sony clearly stated that you could not upgrade the graphics card then I would not complain and I am obviously not the only one to not realise this as two other people on such a small forum have found this problem. So thanks for being absolutely no help at all when you supposed to be a VAIO "expert".

I am sorry you feel this way, but did you research before purchase?

Its like a laptop, you get what you pay for with limited upgradeability.

So please don't blame me, the graphics cannot be upgraded.

sandy_love
Visitor

Thanks. Sorry if it sounded like I was blaming you I was just annoyed that I didn't get a helpful response but thank you Thalamus :slight_smile: sorry once again :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

No problem and there is no need to appologise to me Sandy, sorry that I couldn't help you further...:smileysad: