Join now - be part of our community!

sony vaio vgn-nr32s start up problem - help needed!

profile.country.en_GB.title
chrtaylo88
Visitor

sony vaio vgn-nr32s start up problem - help needed!

The laptop is failing to boot and is stuck on a "non booting loop", returning to the Windows Error Recovery screen (will not boot in safe mode, or any other).

The OS is Windows 7 Starter, this was installed by a repair shop after some issues with the Nvidia GPU earlier this year (so i do not have Windows installation disc).

Current problem began after installing the GeForce 8400m Gt driver software for Vista from the Sony support pages (ie. http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NR32S_S/updates). Foolishly I did this to try and rectify the fact that the graphics cards was no longer being recognised as Nvidia (ie. was recognised as Standard VGA Graphics Adapter).

System restart follwoing the install of the driver, computer did not boot (stuck at Windows starting screen). After switching off and getting the WIndows Error Recovery screeen, I started in Safe Mode which gained access to windows. From here I shut down and restarted, but would not boot (again stuck at windows starting screen). From there it has been in a "non-booting loop" in either Safe, Normal or Last Known Good Config. all of which have tried.

I have hit F2 at the 'Vaio' to get to BiOS screen. HDD seems to be recognised. Hitting F10 results in the "Edit Boot Options" which states:

Edit Windows boot options for: Windows 7

PAth: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Partition: 2

Hard Disk: 8595522

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

]

hitting enter just starts boot attempt (fails), while ESC takes to 'windows boot manager' which only allows Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool. Is there any point doing this? (results only display after logging on which is not something can currently do)

Hitting F8 to the Advanced Boot Options gives some added options, should I try "Disable Driver SIgnature

Enforcement" for instance?

Any help greatly apprecaited

Thanks - Chris

3 REPLIES 3
chrtaylo88
Visitor

UPDATE:

spent some time looking around and this seems to be a classpnp.sys problem (ie. when trying to boot in safe mode it hangs at loading: windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys)

option appears to be downloading a Win7 Recovery disk (eg. from Neosmart:

which presumably will allow me to save all the existing data to an external drive.

Will then do a clean install of windows 7

Would appreciate if anyone could confirm this as being a likely solution before embarking (time, costs) or suggest any other solution (particularly anthing that will help save existing data)

Thanks!

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Link removed

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Chris and welcome.

As you have found out, the Vista nVidia driver is not compatible with Windows 7 and you will need to find a driver that will install - or modify the installer .INF file to allow installation.  Have a look here: -

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/9243-forceware-updaters-quickstart-guide/

However, I can't see how installing this has caused the boot problem - this is probably a different problem.  It seems that there are two likely causes: -

1.  Defective or damaged Hard Drive.

2.  Corrupted boot or system files.

I would download the Windows 7 repair disc which will allow you to boot and repair corrupted files and also check the hard disc for errors.

If, sadly the drive is damaged, you can take take the old drive out and put it into a caddy which may be possible to connect by USB and read data on another computer.

:thinking:

chrtaylo88
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

Thanks for your reply. I will download the Windows 7 repair disc as you suggest. Planning on using bootable USB (just don't have any blank DVDs, while USB is to hand) with Rufus Bootable USB. Not having done this before, is there any difference between using bootable USB versus DVD (eg. less safe/stable)? It also seems from reading that I will have to change to boot from USB in BIOS. If I recall correctly the BIOS boot order was numbered 1 to 7, which position should the USB boot be moved to (1)?

Excuse the rookie nature of questions, this is a large step up on my current pc knowledge!

Thks - Chris