Join now - be part of our community!

VPCL12S1E/S Memory Modules

profile.country.en_GB.title
davshake
Visitor

VPCL12S1E/S Memory Modules

OK, need some help. I have a VPCL12S1E/S which came with 4GB of RAM.  After 2 years decided I wanted to treat my desktop to some additional RAM; so purchased 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM  Upgrade for a Sony VAIO VPCL12S1E/S System from Crucial memory.

RAM arrives, nice and easy to fit new, however, PC will not then start up; does not reach the Sony Vaio logo, or BIOS screen; and the processor fans remain silent.  Take new RAM out, PC boots fine. Tried all the combinations of the modules in the two spare RAM slots - no joy.

Sony specs says system can accommodate 12GB of RAM; 4GB which is already there; Crucial web site has contradictory info and now has removed the recommendation for 8GB, saying only an additional 4GB (2x2GB)can be added.

Called Crucial Support who agreed the info was contradictory and yes they had removed the recomendation for 8GB - so their memory sticks are on their way back to them for a full refund.

I have two empty slots, the spec says a max of 12GB; a Google search doesn't tell me anything new.

Can anyone help?

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
simdrew
Explorer

This isn't going to help much!  What OS are you using?  If it's Windows 7 32bit... the OS will only recognise 4GB of RAM, so it would be pointless adding more than that.

davshake
Visitor

Thank you for taking the time to respond!  I am using the Win 7 - 64 bit version so if I could actually get the pc to boot up it should recognise it.  For some reason it will not even spark in to life whern the RAM is in place.  I am hopeful someone else has experienced this and it is something simple to rectify.

profile.country.GB.title
simdrew
Explorer

You're welcome & I'm sorry if I was"teaching you to suck eggs!" - it's amazing the number of times we read of people who say "I put all this extra RAM in my computer, but Windows (32bit) doesn't see it!

Hope you get it sorted

PS I just doubled the RAM in my all-in-one Vaio VPCL22k1E/B to 8GB (the Sony supported max)  & it's working fine.  Wonder if 12GB was over spec'd?

davshake
Visitor

No problem, I knew it was 64 but I still double checked! I think 12GB was probably too much which is why Crucial pulled it from their site.  The Sony site says VPCL12,13 and 14 all say they support up to 12GB.  I am wondering if it can only match the original install? i.e. 2 x 2mb, which will total 8mb.  I'll get my money back from crucial and then get 4mb more and see if that works.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

marhowse
Visitor

Hi There

Have the same machine and also decided to upgrade from crucial.  and had the same result.  Can you let me know if you ever solved this problem.  Would love to upgrade my machine.

Thanks