Join now - be part of our community!

Operating System Upgrade

IanCousins
Visitor

Operating System Upgrade

Has anyone tried to upgrade from XP Media Centre to XP Pro and encountered problems with the XP Pro serial number not being accepted?
I have a Sony Vaio FE31Z with Windows XP Media Centre edition with sp2 as bundled with the Laptop.

I am a mature student studying Multimedia Technology and my University has an Academic Affiliation with Microsoft MSDN which allows us to buy XP Pro for only a few pounds.

XP Pro has IIS 5.0 bundled with it, which , I suppose is a mock web server. When I load the disc from Microsoft and use the supplied key code it returns an error stating this is an invalid key, but if I try the disc in my main PC it passes the key code without error.

The vaio is a core 2 due 1.83GHz with 2 GB ram and 200 GB Hard Drive so I am sure there is no issue with spec.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :cry:

2 REPLIES 2
TD4
Visitor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't XP Media Centre just XP Pro with additional media features (front end)?
If that is the case, then it's possible that IIS 5.0 may be available as an additional option on XPMC.

TD4 :slight_smile:

IanCousins
Visitor

Thanx for that, you're a star, I wasn't aware that Media Center was XP Pro in disguise. :laughing: