Join now - be part of our community!

No Audio Device Problem

edhifi
Visitor

No Audio Device Problem

I have a recently purchased Vaio VGN-SZ3HP laptop. When I go to Control Panel / Sounds & Audio Devices / it states "no audio device". Under the Audio tab all the drop down boxes are greyed out and it says 'No playback devices', 'No Recording devices', and 'No MIDI playback devices'.

When I go to the C Drive / Drivers folder and reinstall the Audio drivers, I get sound, and under Control Panel / Audio Devices it then states "Sigma Tel Audio". As soon as I start playing audio e.g. through iTunes, I get sound, but the settings all then immediately revert back to "No Audio Device" and as soon as I stop playing the music I can't get any audio again.

Any ideas please?!

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Do you have a file C:\Drivers\Hotfix\KB888111.exe?

Try running this and then reinstalling the audio drivers. This is the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for high Definition Audio and I have heard of a few problems with it recently.

It may be worth downloading a fresh version from HERE

It may also be worth checking that you have the file C:\Windows\System32\sndvol.exe - if not you can copy it from C:\Windows\i386\SNDVOL.EX_

:wink:

edhifi
Visitor

Thanks. I didn't have that hotfix so downloaded it, installed it and then reinstalled the audio drivers. Unfortunately it hasn't made any difference.

I checked and I do have the file C:\Windows\System32\sndvol.exe.

Thanks for your advice, is there anything else you know of that I could try?

markpriestley
Visitor

Hi

my sympathies. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but having spent an eternity searching the Internet, testing various competitor models, and consulting with various people, the official response from Sony is as follows:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

We just got a response from our head engineers.

The Stereo Mix is not available as a recording source on VAIO computers pre-installed with Windows Vista. This is by design as part of an intentional design by Windows Vista.

I am very sorry that we cannot help you any further with this request.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

now... this is not quite true as other manufacturers of Vista pre-installed laptop simply hide the sound card as a 'hidden' audio device - it seems only Sony Vaio disables it completely, rendering most professional and hobby music/audio production sofware completely unusable. If that's what you want to use your computer for then I'm afraid Sony won't let you. Ditto no way to record streaming Internet radio etc. etc.

If you type 'vaio vista recording device' into Google you will find acres of discussion about this problem and hundreds of people looking for a solution. But with an integrated sound card on a Vaio laptop I'm afraid it just isn't going to work. I would suggest making your problem known very forcibly to Sony... and if you find a solution do please let me know! And if I'm wrong about this or have misunderstood something I apologies and would love to be put right by someone more knowledgeable.

You'll find the relevant discussion thread on this forum over here:
http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/GB/en/forum/viewthread?thread=42625