Join now - be part of our community!

Multiple displays

kitling
Visitor

Multiple displays

Hi, I use my VGN SZ1vp with a docking station, which has VGA and DVI ports. I'd like to be able to use external monitors on both ports, with the laptop lcd disabled if necessary. NVIDIA control panel doesn't seem to offer this option however - the only dualview options offered are laptop screen + vga or laptop screen + dvi, not vga + dvi. Does anyone know a work-round for this?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi kitling,

Welcome to Club Vaio. :slight_smile:

I don't think it's possible, however something like this may help with your problem..

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

QVC had something like this a couple of weeks ago but I was more to switch between computers. Nice find though Thal :slight_smile:

kitling
Visitor

Many thanks for the suggestion; for a while I thought that was going to be the answer. Sadly though, it appears that this works my treating your 2 monitors as if they were one big monitor, meaning they both have to have the same resolution settings etc, which isn't going to work for me. I need my 2 monitors to be set at different resolutions, as one is 22 inch widescreen and one is 17inch 4:3. Thanks a lot anyway, any other suggestions gratefully received......

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi kitling,

I'm not sure how effective something like this would be.. :thinking:

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

You need something like this....

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/dh2go/digital/home.php

I think Matrox is the one and only who is doing stuff like these. But may I'm wrong there.
Well, it's probably not inexpensive.

edit:

oh, Thalamus has post it allread< :laughing:
Well, it should do the job. It just add another VGA/DVI port to your VAIO, that you can use 2 external screens instead of 1.

kitling
Visitor

Thanks Seb, but as I said to Thalamus earlier, the Matrox solution won't work for me because I need to run my two monitors at different screen resolutions, and this doesn't allow for that.

Thalamus's second suggestion may well be the answer though - as its USB I'm guessing it gives me a a genuinely independant 2nd port. I may well give that a try, thanks. I appreciate that it'll be low on speed, but this is for office purposes rather than gaming so that's not a problem, and I'll still have my main monitor on the DVI port. Anyone know of any other downsides?

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

hmmm