Join now - be part of our community!

MODEM DOES NOT WORK

MaSteR
Visitor

MODEM DOES NOT WORK

Hey all, I bought a VGN-FS315M just after christmas and its great. But, I had never had to use the modem until now. So i created my dial up connection. It is using the HDAUDIO SoftV92 Data Fax modem with smartCP. But when I dial, it doesnt actually dial. The dialing sounds come through my speakers followed by a single tone which is repeated until I close it. I have listened through my phone and I can hear that nothing is actually being dialed through the modem itself. I have tried different cables, different locations, different phone lines, uninstalled reistalled updated the drivers for both the modem and the sound (i read somewhere that they were related) I uninstalled the drivers, installed KB888111, reinstalled drivers and tried again. Still, the modem does not actually dial but comes out of the speakers. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. Also, it says that there is no dialling tone unless I uncheck "wait for dialling tone".

15 REPLIES 15
MaSteR
Visitor

*bump*

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Chris,

Looks like no-one has experienced the same problems or they would have posted a reply! 'Bumping' only gets up Club members' noses! We will help if we can!

I'm no expert but as I'm here perhaps I can offer some general (non expert) suggestions.

I assume you have set up your dial up connection with the New Connection Wizard and it appears in your 'Network Connections' screen. I also assume the modem shows in Device Manager (General) as working correctly and 'enabled'. In Internet Properties>Connections does your connection show in 'Dial up and Virtual Private Network Settings'?

From what you say, it seems your modem is not connecting to the phone line and cannot obtain a dialling tone. In 9/10 cases this is caused by the lack of a physical connection between the modem port and the phone socket. I'm sure you have jiggled the plug where it connects to your PC - this type of socket is often unreliable. I presume the other end is connected directly into a 'live' phone socket or (if you have Broadband on your line) to a line filter and connected to the phone input NOT the DSL Modem input..

In Device Manager>Properties>Diagnostics, have you tried "Query Modem" to check if the log shows any errors? If you post your initialisation string, I will check it is the same as mine.

Have you tried it with your firewall turned off?

I told you I wasn't an expert!

:slight_frown:

MaSteR
Visitor

lol its not the cable, i have tried many different cables, and its not plugged into the ADSL, all settings are right (AFAIK) i have queried the modem and it returns that everything is successfull. But!! i have no initializing commands for the modem (the box is empty). Maybe this is the problem...

Thanks for your advise and hopefully the problem will be resolved soon

P.S, I dont like bumping topics, but this one was disappearing behind old posts quite fast :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You do know the modem in the laptop is a 56k one, right?

MaSteR
Visitor

yeh

kee-lo_

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for it?

MaSteR
Visitor

yeh (says in my first post) :slight_smile:

kee-lo_

Hmm could be damaged

MaSteR
Visitor

lol great...