Join now - be part of our community!

how to get my vaio back

djmral
Visitor

how to get my vaio back

Hi here is my problem i decided (foolishly) to format my VGN-FS315M notebook ,i deleted the partition on the C: drive which i think had the recovery info on it.

So far i have re-installed a version of win xp and got the broadband working ,the main thing i want to do is reinstall the drivers for the graphics ,but i am struggling ,i have downloaded the drivers from the sony site and there are 2 video folders ,i have tried but dont really know what to do next .

any help would really be appreciated,thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi djmral,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Are you sure the recovery partition has been deleted..?

You could try pressing F10 repeatedly when starting you vaio, this normally would start the recovery process..

djmral
Visitor

hi ,and thanks for the speedy reply,yes i am sure i deleted the partition .I tried restarting and pressing f10 like you suggested but nothing happens.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi djmral

Another way to check if you've deleted the recovery partition, go to Start > Control panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Computer Management..

A new window should open click on Disk Management do you see the Recovery Partition - Partition - Basic - NTFS - Healthy Eisa Config..?

Unfortunately if you wish to have all the pre-installed applications, etc, then you will have to contact Vaio-Link to purchase a new set of recovery DVD's..:smileysad:

djmral
Visitor

ok thanks for the help,i will contact them and purchase the discs,i was wondering if there is any way i can get the graphics drivers working while i wait for the discs to arrive.

thanks

djmral
Visitor

i have checked the computer management screen and there is definately no recovery partition ,i remember deleting the elsa partition when i formatted so i guess it is gone.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have you tried:

Download the Preinstalled Drivers from FS315M DOWNLOADS and copy these to a file C:\Drivers.

Go to Device Manager, find your Display Adapter, right-click on it and choose Update Driver. Choose to install the driver manually and point the wizard at C:\Drivers

You need the Video folder with the nVidia GeForce Go 6400 installation drivers. These all start with NV xxx and include the setup .inf file NVSY.INF

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Place your graphics drivers in a folder something like C:\Drivers\video2.

Go to Start > Run type devmgmt.msc and press OK, Device Manager window should open, double click Display adaptors.

Right click once on the default graphics and select properties.

Select the 'Driver' tab and click on Update driver.

A new Hardware Update Window will appear, Select Don't search I will choose the driver to install and click Next,

Select Display adapters and click Next,

click Have Disk and browse to the folder C:\drivers\video 2,

select NVSZ.INF and click Open, Click OK

then click Next to install NVIDIA GeForce Go 6400

Wait while the Wizard installs the new software

Click Finish when the installation complete screen appears

Restart the computer to finish

djmral
Visitor

fantastic ,i have followed your advice and got the drivers installed ,they seem to be working correctly,thank you very much for both your help.

sorry to ask but how do i go about getting the wireless adaptor to work

again thanks .

sishu
Visitor

Hello!

The same problems with partition....

How mach doest the recovery dvd cost?