Join now - be part of our community!

Blu-ray drive not appearing

profile.country.en_GB.title
micchalk6
Visitor

Blu-ray drive not appearing

Hi all,

I noticed yesterday while installing a game that my Blu-ray drive is only appearing in My Computer for a few minutes after startup before disappearing and being unavailable.

I suspect this may not be unrelated to my laptop taking a tumble onto the floor a few days ago - only a drop of a couple of feet, but that's likely to have been more than enough, I suspect.

Is there any way I can check to see if there's a loose connection, or if it's an unrelated software problem? Or do I need to take it to a repair shop - and will a Sony Centre be able to fix it?

I'm using a FW31J and it's about 2 years old with Win7 installed about a month back, if any of that's relevant.

Thanks for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have a look in Device Manager and expand CD/DVD-ROM Drives.

Are there any yellow warnings against your drive and if you double-click on it, what is the status given?

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
micchalk6
Visitor

No, the drive doesn't appear on the list at all.

The drive has now stopped working several times in the midst of watching DVDs this week, and requires a full re-start to reappear.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think you were right first time - it sounds like a loose connection.

You will need to get someone to look inside.  I don't know of a disassembly guide for your model I'm afraid.

:slight_frown: