Join now - be part of our community!

BIOS Update for Vaio VGN-S2XP

profile.country.en_GB.title
mark_pratt
Visitor

BIOS Update for Vaio VGN-S2XP

I recently had a problem with my VAIO VGN-S2XP and was advised to make sure my BIOS was up-to-date. I checked this site for an update but after downloading it I got a message saying that my BIOS is already up-to-date.
I decided to look into it a bit further to see if I could find a newer update somewhere else and ended up at http://scan.esupport.com/ This site is supposed to be 'The Official BIOS Update and Support Center for Phoenix-Award BIOS and AMI BIOS'. It gave me the below information and then says an update is available but wants me to pay $29.95 to download it - Since when did we start paying for BIOS Updates?!
Does anyone know if there definitely is an update available? If so have I got to download it at this site or can I get it from somewhere else for free? It seems strange that the VAIO website doesn't have a more recent update. Thanks for any help.

BIOS Type: Phoenix
BIOS Date: December 23rd 2004
BIOS ID: COOPERS0.86C.0000.D.0412231354
BIOS OEM: R0072G4
Chipset: Intel 3340 rev 3
SuperIO: Unknown
Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
Motherboard: VGN-S2XP(GB)
Maximum Memory: -2097152MB
Installed Memory: 512MB
Memory Config: Slot1:512 Slot2:

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I would never try to install a non-Sony BIOS update. It is a certain way to convert your Vaio into a doorstop. Sony customise the BIOS in Vaios and only one released by Sony is safe.

The last Sony BIOS update for your model is R0072G4 and this seems to work perfectly well. My advice is to leave well alone.

What problems do you have that you think may be rectified by a BIOS Update?

:thinking:

mark_pratt
Visitor

Well to cut a long story short whenever I plug in new Hardware Services.exe begins to consume 99-100% of my CPU.

I posted a question Experts Exchange here and I've had plenty of suggestions but so far none have corrected the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately you have to be a Premium Services Member to view the replies on that site.

Do you have Daemon Tools installed or use any other Virtual Drives?

mark_pratt
Visitor

No, I don't have either. Although I don't know anything about it I have heard of Daemon Tools before though. Do you think one of this might help in some way?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

No - Daemon Tools can cause this sort of behaviour, so avoid it if possible.

Without looking at the 'pay-as-you-go' recommendations on Experts Exchange it is difficult to comment....

Have you tried running SFC /SCANNOW to check the integrity of your system files? If it is a Plug-n-Play error, you may have to bite the bullet and look at a System Recovery.

:slight_frown:

mark_pratt
Visitor

Yup, tried sfc /scannow already. I think i've tried just about everything! I think I'm definitely gonna have to go with the System Recovery. In fact, now is probably the best time to do it whilst I have the time.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway Blencogo.